fretboard dyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fretboard dyes?

i wanted to make the rosewood on my RR5 darker, like the rosewood on my Charvel fusion, but ive searched around google and this board for fretboard dyes and i cant find jack! is there something simple to it all? or do i have to buy special dye from somewhere?

thanks in advance

Re: fretboard dyes?

I hear Indian Ink does wonders.

Comment

This stuff works great.

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...talog/sku.html

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        This stuff works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">agreed, this stuff is great but be careful with it! Here's my Charvel with it applied:

Pink Model 6a </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          This stuff works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">agreed, this stuff is great but be careful with it! Here's my Charvel with it applied:

Pink Model 6a </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the best thing to use to apply it so it goes on evenly and minimizes the mess? I'm thinking about darkening the neck on my parts mutt. It has neck binding so I'll probably tape it prior to application.
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

pallerandersvisa, are you wanting to make it look like ebony, or just a darker rosewood? if you want to keep the rosewood look, but just have it darker, minwax makes this stuff that's a gel stain/sheen that wipes on, and right off. they have a rosewood color that i picked up and it worked nicely. it won't make it black like ebony, but it will darken it somewhat, and really enriches the rosewood look, as it were. i got it at home depot, so it should be easy to find.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thanks everyone!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                This stuff works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pink Model 6a </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the best thing to use to apply it so it goes on evenly and minimizes the mess? I'm thinking about darkening the neck on my parts mutt. It has neck binding so I'll probably tape it prior to application.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I actually use "Q-tips" as they make nice applicators since they have a built in handle [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I would highly recommend taping anything and everything that you don't want stained but be warned that you will DEFINITELY have to do some scraping of the binding with a sharp razor blade as I can't imagine the tape edge holding up perfectly through the whole process because this stuff is VERY wet. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

How does that stuff handle inlays? Meaning, do those have to be tapes off as well?

Comment

From Budman's Pink Model 6a thread:

"I blacked out the fretboard using "Fiebing"s" Oil Dye. Works excellent but be very careful you don't get it all over the place as it is a true "dye". It did not effect my inlays at all but I would imagine if you had pits or cracks in your inlays, it would show VERY easily. It also will stain the binding, so unless you plan on re-scraping the binding(which I knew I was going to do), you may just want to stay away from it."
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

There's a method that involves steel wool, non-galvanized nails, & vinegar (IIRC) that has the advantage of darkening the wood but preserving the grain rather than just blackening it out. Also doesn't screw up inlays. Google for "ebonizing rosewood" and you'll find it.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                        X