Balanced signal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balanced signal.

I simply can't understand why we guitarists are still using equipment with unbalanced signals. I like to think we would have caught on after all these years of working with microphones and studios.

Is there a way to switch my guitars output to a balanced signal, without using a DI box? Also, are any guitar amps out there being built to accept balanced outputs?

Re: Balanced signal.

Explain your reasoning.

Comment

Balanced signals can travel through longer lengths of cable without signal degration or picking up hum. I don't use guitar effects pedals, and I like the idea of being able to be further away from my amp than just 10'-20'.

Comment

If you are 20' away from you amp you should consider going wireless... right?
        I believe that high quality unbalanced cables will give you the distance you require.
        Just think about the drastic change the entire industry would have to make to accomodate your request.
        Unbalanced guitar signal is the industry standard. Most players that need to be 20'+ away from their amps would tend to go wireless.

Comment

I'm not sure what would happen once you hit the amp input, but can you just use a stereo output jack on your guitar followed by the proper cable?

Comment

If my guitars output was balanced the output jack would either be a stereo 1/4" jack or an XLR jack. If I was running such a guitar signal into a regular guitar amp I'd have to use a balanced-to-unbalanced adapter, which usually costs $15-$18.

I understand that unbalanced signals are the industry standard for guitar equipment. And it's definitely not a big deal, but I'm just curious if any guitar and amp makers are using balanced jacks. I remember hearing that there are some companies doing this, but I have yet to find anything.

Comment

Unbalanced cables will not active switched jacks.

Comment

I think you'd basically need to build some sort of balanced line driver into your guitar, and a balanced line reciever put at the other end of the cable, before the amp (I'm guessing that's what the balanced-to-unbalanced adapter you're talking about is) Basically, you'd need an unbalanced-to-balanced adapter on the other end as well (which is what a DI box does)

Comment

Working...
                X