Installing Tuning Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Tuning Keys

I apologize, I have had about 1,000,000 tech questions and I just can't stop because you guys keep answering them!
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

So...
    I would like to install tuning pegs into a guitar where the position of the current screw holes on the back of the headstock do not match the new tuners..

Is there anymore science than lining them-up so they look straight and drilling new holes? (I am guessing there is a trick, lol)
    What is the worst thing that could happen?

Finally, after doing this should I fill the old holes in with something? (They would only be small holes, but still...)

Thanks again everyone!

Dan

Re: Installing Tuning Keys

Wood glue on a toothpick works great for plugging the old holes. Wait till dry and sand down the excess.

As far as drilling the new holes...you got it! Line 'em by the old eyeball method and make damn sure you're happy with them, then drill.

Tip: Measure the depth you want the holes in the headstock, add a smidge for the thickness of the ring where the screw goes through, and wrap a peice of masking tape around the drill bit for a visual stopper so you don't drill through the face of the headstock.

Comment

Dude's asking so many questions that he's beginning to answer himself (correctly!).

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cool tip, Chuck!
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I take an icepick to start the holes before drilling
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Metric or Standard icepick?
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
          X