Number of springs and string gauge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of springs and string gauge question

If I use 10-52 gauge strings and I tune to standard, would I be able to remove a spring from the back (to 3 springs)and put the spring claw all the way in? Or would I have to keep it at 4 as it is now?

Re: Number of springs and string gauge question

3 springs will work with .010's no problem!!

Comment

well it technically isn't 10s, it's lite top heavy bottoms with 52 on the low E

Comment

3 springs will definitely work, no problem. Though, personally, I like to have 4 or 5 springs on my Floyded guitars no matter what gauge strings. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

3 springs should work if they´re the original Floyd springs (Standard trem springs are about 25% softer, these might cause problems)

I also use 4 on all axes, though with me it´s partly preference and partly dictated by string guage (12-52)

Comment

I had to use 4 springs on mine.

Comment

I think this is the general rule
              8's light 2 springs
              9's light 3 springs
              9's heavy 3 springs
              10's light 3 springs
              10's heavy 4 springs

Comment

i use 4or5 spring no matter what gauge strings, makes the trem much stiffer.

Comment

My favorite Floyd setup is on my Warmoth, which has 9s and 2 springs, believe it or not. It's very responsive.

I have 3 springs on all my other Floyds (all have 9s, typically tuned to Eb).

Comment

I had 3 on mine with 10-52s and it worked fine. I added a 4th which is NOT the same spring as the other 3 though. Is that bad, should I just buy a full set of new springs and not take the risk?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      My favorite Floyd setup is on my Warmoth, which has 9s and 2 springs, believe it or not. It's very responsive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I believe it.

My PC1 had 10s on it when I bought it, with 4 springs. Then, I switched it to 9s, and kept the 4 springs, but I was afraid I was going to run out of screw when I was adjusting the spring claw. Tweeked it in no problem, though.

If I would have had a 5th spring, I would have tried that to. I love the stiffer feel you get with more springs.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Not that I'm a real Kahler fan, but I must defend their design. You can have a heavy string set and keep a slinky trem feel. A combination not possible with a Floyd.
                        I love Floyds though!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I had 3 on mine with 10-52s and it worked fine. I added a 4th which is NOT the same spring as the other 3 though. Is that bad, should I just buy a full set of new springs and not take the risk?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it won´t cause any problems, I have "mixed springs" in about half of my guitars [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X