JT-590 vs. JT-580?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-590 vs. JT-580?

I'm sure this has been done to death, and I did check out the sticky thread on the Floyd trem info. But I still have a question. What's the difference between the JT-580 and the JT-590 trems? I know that the 590 was Schaller's version of the OFR, pretty much the same except for some of the metal used. Does the 580 have the same dimensions? Or is there more going on? I know that the JT-6 can be swapped with the OFR and the Schaller JT-590, but what about a 580?

Also, just as an afterthought, the Schaller trem on my 650xl would be a JT-590 since it's stamped "Schaller?"

Re: JT-590 vs. JT-580?

The 580's stud hole placement it different. Yup the 650 would have a 590.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

So if the 580's stud hole placement is different, then it wouldn't be easily swapped with an OFR, Schaller, or JT-6, right?

Comment

I haven't done it yet (still waiting for my Jackson)but Iv'e been told a hundred times that a Schaller will swap with a JT580lp with no mods.............(shrugs shoulders)
        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Not what I've heard. I think we would see a lot more stock 580 axes with OFR's and Schaller's on them if that were the case. I haven't had and axe with a 580 to compare it. But I've seen enough dissappointed folks post here about making the switch.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Not what I've heard. I think we would see a lot more stock 580 axes with OFR's and Schaller's on them if that were the case. I haven't had and axe with a 580 to compare it. But I've seen enough dissappointed folks post here about making the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Que? I'm pretty sure they all have the same post spacing. Someone with a measuring tape and a JT580LP please enlighten us.

Comment

I have personally swapped out a JT580LP in favor of A Schaller Floyd. No modifications needed, and no problems at all.

Note: I also replaced the posts and bushings, since the original posts were worn. The Shaller trem shipped with wood screws, so I used posts and bushings from an OFR.

Comment

A 580 can definitely be swapped for an OFR. The Halford Warrior MG Newc's got used to be mine, and it had an OFR on it.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X