Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR Study mystery

Folks,
    I've just been raising the action on my newly aquired GX Bullseye and it has something I've never seen before.

On the treble side stud, recessed inside the allen 'socket' at the top of the stud, is a smaller allen bolt, almost like the stud position lock on the Ibanez low-pro...It's just countersunk low enough that I can get the normal allen key in at the top and turn the stud, but only just.

The inner allen 'socket' is smaller than the bolt heads for the intonation on the Floyd.

This seems a little wierd to me, especially as it's not on both studs - has anyone seen this before, and if so, what's going on?.....

Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: OFR Study mystery

Wow...thats wierd!

Comment

Huh??Got a pic Ian??

Maybe it was changed??!!

Comment

I'll try and get a pic later on today, but I have my doubts I'll be able to get a clear enough pic to show the inner allen bolt....other than that, it looks just like a normal floyd stud.

Comment

Its to keep the stud from moving. Like a "Memory Lock" On Drum Hardware. So if you tak ethe bridge off, or it comes off from all removing the strings the Pivot will screw in and stop at the desired point.

Comment

Wierd....sounds like somehow an Ibanez Locking stud or a prototype of the new Floyd studs ended up on you´re axe....

Comment

Re: OFR Stud mystery

That's what I thought initially (hence mention of the Ibanez Lo-Pro) but why does it appear to only be on the treble side, and what size allen key would it need?

It seems odd as the inner screw is so high that initially it seemed like there wouldn't be enough purchase to turn the stud.

Also, I've managed to undo the stud to raise the action without releasing the inner screw - if it was a lock, surely the stud wouldn't turn without it being released?

I guess it's no big deal as the stud moves normally, but it is something I've not seen before....

Comment

Re: OFR Stud mystery

see if you can remove the setscrew, IIRC Ibeenhad Studs use a 1mm allen Key for that....

That way we at least know for sure whether it´s a separate screw or not, could also just look real funky because of the plating......

BTW: RAISING you can do even with locked Ibanez studs, the setscrew stops them from lowering [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  On the treble side stud, recessed inside the allen 'socket' at the top of the stud, is a smaller allen bolt, almost like the stud position lock on the Ibanez low-pro...It's just countersunk low enough that I can get the normal allen key in at the top and turn the stud, but only just.

The inner allen 'socket' is smaller than the bolt heads for the intonation on the Floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I think what you might be seeing is the result of how the allen head sockets are manufactured. I realize that it may not look like the others because it may have come from a different batch of screws. When they "formed" the allen socket in the top of the screw, it left material at the bottom of the socket creating an illusion of a smaller allen screw at the bottom. Just a thought [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is a seperate screw inside, but unfortunately, out of the 20 or so allen-keys I have, none will fit, so I'm going to go on the scrounge later on! I hadn't realised the Ibz screw still let you raise the stud - I thought it locked it completely somehow!

I'll try and get a picture, but the close up will be pretty awkward with my camera.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I think what you might be seeing is the result of how the allen head sockets are manufactured. I realize that it may not look like the others because it may have come from a different batch of screws. When they "formed" the allen socket in the top of the screw, it left material at the bottom of the socket creating an illusion of a smaller allen screw at the bottom. Just a thought [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially the same direction I was going with the plating comment, yep [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">ok, here's an example I was trying to convey in my "o so feeble way" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's a stainless steel "shoulder" screw from the side:

Now when you focus in, inside the allen head socket, you'll see how they actually "scrape" or "skive" the allen socket in there, leaving chips in the bottom that got mashed from the cutting tool, which gives the illusion of another smaller "socket" at the bottom (inside the green circle). Cool huh? No? Not very exciting, I know... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font>
                        Dave ->

Comment

Re: OFR Stud mystery (PICS!)

Dave,
                          Cool pics, and that looks more like what I see on my other guitars. I've managed to get these two pics, which show what I'm looking at:

Like I said, I've never seen this on an OFR stud before.....

Comment

weird. i thought that you were referring to something like this:

Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">Thanks for the pics from both of you, I believe that's exactly what we're looking at here. It's in the manufacturing process and on neilli's post, that looks like they actually didn't go deep enough with the cutting tool. </font>
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X