Installing a pickup in Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a pickup in Model 1

I purchased a Symour JB TB to put in my Model 1 (only a volume pot, 1 hum, no pickup selector). I am giving this a shot the first time since I am trying to learn rather than bring my guitars to the shop all the time. I purchased a small soldering iron and have been practicing on loose wire, no problem there. However, I am a bit confused as to which wires to solder together. From the Seymour website, it looks as if the black wires are the only ones that get soldered together. In the cavity, there are four wires, red, white, green and black, at this time, none are soldered to anything. It looks as if the pickup has red, green and black. Before I attempt to do this, I sure could use some help. Thanks!

Re: Installing a pickup in Model 1

The black should go to the volume pot, the white and red should be soldered together and insulated, and the green and bare wire should get soldered to the ground (back of the volume pot).

Comment

You're on the right track. Follow the single hum, single volume diagram from the Seymour Duncan site and you'll be fine.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...1hum_1vol.html

Basically, solder the black wire the to appropriate pole on the volume pot, and solder the green wire to the top of the volume pot. Solder the red and white together and you should be in business.

Comment

Thanks, but here is the problem I have. there was a Seymour JB installed previously, the wires are attached to the volume pot already and the opposite ends are in the cavity, it is the same type of wires that I have on the new Seymour pickup. So, I have two ends of the same wires and I am not sure how to join them. Would it be safe to just join every wire?

Black to Black
        Green to Green
        White to White
        Red to Red
        Bare to Bare

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, it was a success! I went directly to the volume pot with the new pick-up wire, I just took off the old wire and started from scratch. It was my first soldering job and I saved about $25.00 by purchasing a $20.00 soldering iron.

Comment

Yep. When installing new pickups, you should completely remove all traces of the original pickup leads, even wick/suck the solder used. Ideally the leads from the old pickup should still be attached to it so that you can put the old pickup into a new guitar.

Comment

Congrats Don! You are now well on your way to buying lots of tools and screwing up perfectly good guitars!
              Enjoy! That's how we all learn!!

Comment

Working...
              X