7-string single coil pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-string single coil pups?

I just got a Schecter Elite 007 that's H/S. The Duncan Designs are kinda weak in output for my tastes. I just won a Duncan Custom 7 off ebay, I need a good single coil to match it. The only thing I've found so far is the DiMarzio Blaze; the specs seem to indicate it's nice and bright with some good power and may be what I'm looking for (I prefer warmer bridge pups with brighter neck pups). Anyone else familiar with the Blaze single, and will it be a good match for the Custom 7, or is there any other production single coil 7-string pups out there without going custom shop? I know these single coils are usually for the middle position on the H/S/H models, but this seems like it might be interesting for the neck as well. Any thoughts on this?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: 7-string single coil pups?

Warmoth sells Tom Anderson Singles... pretty decent sounding too !

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Andersons! They've got Rio Grandes, too. Thanks. Now I've got some research to do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Too bad Dimarzio should make 7string version fo Fast Track.
        OR Maybe Duncan to make 7string version of Hotrail.

Comment

Yeah, I believe Duncan will pretty much make you anything in the Custom Shop, but I don't want to pay $120 or so for it. Not sure if DiMarzio will do that or not.

Comment

SD's run about $150 from the custom shop... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Ah. Well, I just scored a brand new Blaze for $48 anyway, so that'll do for now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] http://www.gtrheaven.com/pickups/7-string_pickups.htm

Comment

You like a warm bridge and a briight neck? That's sort going against the natural sound of a guitar. Neck pickups are usually warmer and darker and bridge pickups are usually brighter.

Comment

Yeah, I know, but I feel it balances the sound a little better. Kinda like the old EVH theory and why he went to only one pickup back in the day before there were replacement pups. When he got a nice warm tone on the bridge pup, the neck pup would be too dark and muddy. When he got a brighter and more acceptable tone on the neck, the bridge would be too bright.
                  I know the neck pup will always be darker sounding because of its placement, but it helps balance out the sound, IMO, to use a brighter voiced pup there so I don't have to change amp settings and can switch back and forth easily between pups without having my tone go to shit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Make sense?

Comment

Working...
                  X