Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figuring out square footage of tolex needed for -

Hey guys

I need to figure out how much tolex I'll need in quare footage for a 4x12 cabinet.
    does ayone know the equation?

the cabs are mesa boogie size.

thanks!

Chris

Re: figuring out square footage of tolex needed for -

3 yards worked perfect for mine. Actually, that did the head and the cab.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That's 3 yards by 4 feet I think. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Measure the cabs dimesions, calculate what that is in sq feet, and add 5-10% for waste [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

simply measure the horizontal & vertical measurements of one side to be covered (the back is usually going to be the biggest side). The equation is: H x L = square footage (H = vertical measurement & L = horizontal measurement).

Now multiply your answer by 5 (the number of sides to be covered. You will have extra.

If you want a more precise figure to eliminate alot of waste. Measure the vertical & horizontal of each side to be covered then do the equation above for each side to be covered. Then add all of your answers together & that should be your total square footage. I would recommend adding 5-10% as mentioned above to make sure that you do have enough coverege.
          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

It's not as simple as some of you think. Unless of course you want a bunch of seams. The top, bottom, and sides should be all one piece with one seam hidden underneath. Most cabinets are around 30" X 30", and 14" deep, which means you need a strip of Tolex about 10 feet long, and 20" wide. You need the extra width to wrap around the front and back edges. The only other piece you need, is the back which will be around 30" X 30". Now this is the best way to do it, to eliminate as many of the seams as possible, but you do end up with a whole bunch of extra Tolex. In the end it comes down to how many seams you can tolerate, and also keep in mind that the seems are pretty tricky to get perfectly straight, and even when you do, they are still slightly visible.

Comment

well the cabinets I'm recovering are 31.5w X 14d x 31.5h
              so when I did the calculation above I got a HUGE number, I'm obviously no math wiz, so what am I doing wrong?

I have to cover 3 cabinets, and this is blowing my mind!

Chris

Chris

Comment

Okay, since tolex comes in 54" wide, or 56" wide, let's assume 54" wide. For the sides, top, and bottom, you should be able to get away with a strip about 130" long, by 18" wide. The width is crucial, because your cabs are 14" deep, and you will need about 1" extra to wrap around the back edge, and about 2-1/2" extra to wrap around the front edge. 18" will give you 1/2" leeway. Not much, but if you're careful, you can make it work. 18" just happens to divide into 54" 3 times. Then all you have to worry about, is the back panels. You'll need 3 pieces about 32" x 32", for a total of 96". That gives you a grand total of 226" or about 19 feet. If I were you, I'd go with 21 feet, just in case.

The key is, draw it out on a piece of paper, and plan out your cuts. Then when you get the Tolex, draw the pattern on the back of it with a permanent marker, so you know exactly where all your cuts are going to be.

By the way, the calculations above were done in my head rather quickly, so I don't guarantee their accuracy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

okay zeegler, that sounds good, but the guy I'm getting the tolex from wants me to tell him what I need in square footage. if I'm going with 21 feet, how much is that in square feet?

Chris=math ignorant.

Chris

Comment

If the guy really knows what the hell he's doing, ask him how wide the tolex is. It should be 54" or 56". That's the only way to do it. If he won't tell you, shop somewhere else.

Comment

54" inches = 4.5 feet
                      zeegler reccommended 21 feet in length
                      4.5 x 21 = 94.5 square feet

if the tolex is 56 inches wide then it is 98.7 sqaure feet
                      Like zeegler said ask the guy how wide the tolex is.
                      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                      X