HELP!!! EMG parts & install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! EMG parts & install questions

I recently purchased a brand new EMG 85, so it came w/ the volume, tone, jack, wires, & battery clip.

I can purchase 2 used (installed & taken out but not played) EMG 81s. Parts 2-81s wires, 1-batt clip, 1 volume, & 1 tone.

My problem is I can definatly get one of the pickups, but i dont want to leave the guy w/out the volume/tone/battery clip (If I can get both this is a non issue).
    <<>> Money sources is all that could prevent me from getting both 81s <<>>

1st, Can 2 EMG hums run on 1 9 volt battery?
    2nd, I plan to install the 85 & 1 81 in my KV, but would I need to get another volume control (25k) or will one of the KV volume pots already work?
    3rd, How the heck do you guys install the battery so it isnt just rattling around in the cavity control route?
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Re: HELP!!! EMG parts & install questions

1. Yes.

2. You will need another 25k pot.

3. There are battery clips available that hold the battery in place. Or, you could just wrap it in the foam that comes with the pups! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck,

Chris
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

1st, Can 2 EMG hums run on 1 9 volt battery? YES

2nd, I plan to install the 85 & 1 81 in my KV, but would I need to get another volume control (25k) or will one of the KV volume pots already work? YOU CAN RUN THEM BOTH WITH 1 VOLUME OR YOU CAN TAKE THE TONE AND REMOVE THE LITTLE CAPACITOR ON IT AND IT WILL TURN INTO A VOLUME CONTROL.JUST MAKE SURE THE POTS ARE 25K OHMS.

3rd, How the heck do you guys install the battery so it isnt just rattling around in the cavity control route?
      I USE CLOSE CELL FOAM (PACKING MATERIAL). YOU CAN ALSO USE BUBBLE WRAP. WHATEVER SECURES IT. MAKE SURE THAT YOU KEEP THE BATTERY FROM HITTING ANY OF THE COMPONENTS AND CREATING A SHORT. I WRAP MY BATTERIES IN ELECTRICAL TAPE FIRST JUST TO BE SHAPE.

Comment

thanks for the responses. after reading the 18v vs 9v thread, 18 volts sounds tempting (i wonder if enough room in KV route for 2 9v batterys...

So the tone pot it came w/ can be converted to a volume pot by removing the capacitor. Cool, I would assume then that the KV stock tone pot could be used for tone & work fine, although I never use the tone pot, so no lose if no tone pot.

didnt someone have a box like thing that was bolted/screwed to the control route plate?
        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

You can't use the original KV tone knob, it's 250K, not 25K. EMGs require 25K pots, not 250 K, 'k? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

K [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well $100 for all parts listed in 1st post (pretty darn good me thinks). Paid half now & the other half in 3-4 weeks, got to take them home as well (I knew there was a reason why I only window shop @ GC).

Now the fun begins, the other 81 is going in the DXMG, & either 85/89/or H will go into it as well... eventually.

Still debating the 18v vs 9v.

But seriously didnt someone have some type of 9v battery compartment that they had screwed to the control cover & sat flush w/ the control cover?

Comment

I'd think about pm'ing Dave (budman) and ask if he's got any solutions or ideas. I'm not sure if he has anything like this, but it could well be.

He makes all kinds of stuff, like cavity covers, puprings,etc.. and it's all amazing, high-quality stuff! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thank you I will have to look into that.
                Maybe Radio Shack or my other local shop will have something as well. the more I think about it it was someone w/ a DXMG. Well maybe off to the search function.

Comment

Damn, no luck w/ the search function.

Comment

If you are going to use active EMG's you must use all 25K pots.

Comment

Working...
                    X