Kahler vs. OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler vs. OFR

I am sure this has been covered to death but I did a search and didn't find anything.

What are the relative pros and cons of a Kahler vs. an OFR?

I have had a bunch of OFRs but never even picked up a guitar with a Kahler on it. What's the deal?

Re: Kahler vs. OFR

Your doing fine. Don't get curious. Kahler's are horrible. lol
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Great, a religious debate is going to start...

Comment

I have seen several times here that many feel that Kahlers suck, why? I have had a few of each and really don't feel that strongly one way or another, but then again I am not a real big trem user. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Your doing fine. Don't get curious. Kahler's are horrible. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Kahlers suck! Floyds rule! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Where's Metalcop to back me up? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They are both great!!!! ADMINS>>>>> PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

I've had both and I think Kahlers are so unresponsive
                and dead feeling that I've gotten rid of my kahlered guitars.
                Then again I am a "heavy" trem user and the floyd is perfect for my style of playing.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Which Kahler?

The Kahler Steeler is almost indistinguishable from an OFR, no one here could tell the difference blindfoled and I'd wager that 99% of the Floyd evangalists have never laid hands on one.

The Kahler 2700 is one of my favorite trems but you never see them. It's rear-routed with a claw/spring arrangement like a Floyd but unlike a Floyd you can adjust each individual string's horizontal position and each saddle's height. If you want to do that with a Floyd you're going to need a grinder, drill, new baseplate, & a stack of saddle shims.

The cam-style Kahlers have the advantage of requiring a fairly small route. Some folks (myself included) tend to believe that the resonant properties of wood are superior to those of air where musical instrument construction is concerned so the less wood you replace with air the better IMHO. If properly maintained they operate far more smoothly than a Floyd though they do require more maintenance to keep in good working order. They also feel "loose" because the coil spring doesn't have as much tension as the springs holding a Floyd in place.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Here we go again! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Both suck!, and string thru is the way to go! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

it depends on the player.I prefer the feel of the Kahler pro to the Floyds but on the other hand the Kahler pro is not double locking.
                      www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Both suck!, and string thru is the way to go! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

All a matter of preference,for some things I like a V-trem,for some I like a Kahler,if I want to pound on a whammy bar I'll play a guitar with a Floyd!!
                          IMO,no one trem is right for everything,each has it's own strengths & weaknesses!!

Comment

Yep, its really matter of preference. Both hold tune well for me. I'm a Floyd guy all the way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Kahlers have a nice smooth feel to them but are an eyesore to me. I only have one Kahler'd guitar and I won't buy another.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              They also feel "loose" because the coil spring doesn't have as much tension as the springs holding a Floyd in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you put in the heavy spring set. I've got this set on all my Kahlers, and it absolutely eliminates all the sponginess.

Comment

Working...
                              X