Advantages of compound radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of compound radius?

I know that a radius fingerbaord certainly "feels" more comfortable than a flat board, but what is the theory behinfd the compound radius (ie. a widening radius as you move away from the nut).
    Some people have told me that it makes string bending easier, however Ive also heard that a flat fingerboard is the best for bending as the string will never fret out.
    I'm confused!

Re: Advantages of compound radius?

*Copied from the Warmoth site*

The idea was to keep the lower registers of the fingerboard with a rounder feel, more comfortable for chording and rhythm playing but at the same time to flatten the high registers for easier string bending. The compound radius accomplishes this with a continuously flattening radius beginning with a 10 inch radius at the string nut to a 16 inch radius at the 22nd fret. This compound radius isn't something that feels readily apparent to the playing hand in any noticeable way other than the fact that it is very comfortable to play on. With a professional set-up, these necks play exceptionally well.

Comment

Re: Advantages of compound radius?

if that's the case, then you've just about answered your own question. A compound radius means that the higher up the neck you go, the flatter the fretboard gets. So it's more comfortable towards the nut, where you're playing most of your rhythm guitar, and flatter towards the bridge for those high sustained bends at the end of a climactic solo run!
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
      X