Original Floyd Rose on Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Floyd Rose on Model 1

Just picked up a nice black Model 1 with a vintage tremolo and purchased an original Floyd Rose. Has anyone done this type of install on a Model 1? It seems that the headstock of the Model 1 is too slanted for the Floyd nut to sit even and a heavy mod would have to be done to hold it in place properly. Is there an alternate locking nut I could get for use with the original Floyd on my Model 1? Thanks.

Re: Original Floyd Rose on Model 1

Can't you jsut leave the original nut on ? or is the string spacing different?

Comment

This would have been easier if you had just obtained a Model 2, you wouldn't have had to route for a floyd and used the JT-6 locking nut.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Yes, I realize the Model 2, however it's hard to bee choosy with obtaining these guitars, especially when you find one in real good shape. So if I can obtain a nut from a JT-6, would that work without having to modify the headstock?

Comment

Any Kahler style "behind the nut" locking nut will be easy to attach. The only headstock mod will be the 4 screws to hold it on. That's what most c/j's with the JT-6 came with.

Comment

you're also gonna have to open up that bridge rout to accomodate a floyd.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Maybe I'll throw my Wilkinson Vintage Trem in there after all:-(

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                you're also gonna have to open up that bridge rout to accomodate a floyd.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

yep more than likley you will. I put OFR's on a 2 different Model 1's before. One of them need the route widened because the bridge would have been too far away to intonate properly. The other one just needed a hair shaved so the bar could nut could rotate.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Was the result successful with the OFR in the Model 1? I have a luthier that can do it for me, the nut problem is the main concern.

Comment

no problem with the nut. you just need to build a little shelf for the nut to sit on. I've used cut wood wedges (PITA of trial and error until you find the right nut height) as well as the metal nut shims.

If you ahre having someone do the bridge they can do the nut for you too. A Floyd installi is usually between 100 and 150. I'm having one done right now because it was a nice USA strat headstock that I really didn't want take a chance screwing it up. Plus I got so burned out on building parts guitars and doing refins I dreaded doing it myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks.

He called me about the nut before he did anything with it. I took the guitar with me and decided to do a little research before he started building a bridge for it. I noticed on the new pointy reissues, it looks like the neck is a bit longer so the Floyd nut sits nice and flat.

Comment

Working...
                      X