String tension problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String tension problem

I tune down 2 steps (C standard) and I use GHS boomers 9-42 right now.
    they are floppier than what i want, as they don't have very good 'pull' on my strings. the strings that came on my jackson were 9-42 and were very tight and worked great but sounded like ass.

My question is, what is the ideal string for drop tuning without having to use a thicker string guage? I want to keep 9-42 but boomers are just to floppy at that tuning. I am willing to go as thick as 9-46.

Re: String tension problem

while you may be unwilling to go to heavier strings than 9-46, your guitar is unwilling to perform how you want it with the equipment that you're giving it. if you want string tension when you tune two steps down, you're gonna need at least a set of 10s or more likely, 11s or 12s.

sorry kid, but there's just no way around it.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you play 9s in standard, to have the same tension you´d need about 11s...there is IMO no such thing as a set of 9s that can be tuned down to C and not sound like ass, or even be playable...unless you like playing on 7s in standard, becasue that´s about what the tension will be.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

To me it sounds like you want something impossible, bro... or I´m misunderstanding you, if I am please clarify.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

*EDIT* Grrr, Sully beat me to it while I was typing [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

WOW!!!!! 9-42 in C!!!! Damn. Even I thought 10-46 was WAY too floppy in just D! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You're going to HAVE to up the gauge as Sully already said. You said you enjoyed the tension when the 9-42 set was tuned to standard when you got your Jackson, which is already quite light to me, so you're going to want to replicate that feel by increasing the string gauge.

Just as a comparison, I've occasionally tuned my old acoustic down to C, and it had 12-53 strings. It felt perfect for that tuning. So perhaps a set of electric 12s is in store for you for C tuning.

Comment

Sully and Zerb are both correct. I use 9-42 on all my guitars. For a couple songs we detune just the low E down to D and a couple songs just the low E down to C. That low string flaps like crazy and I have to be real gentle when picking it or it goes way sharp. I couldn't imagine tuning the whole guitar that far down and still have it playable with 9-42 strings.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

When moving up to bigger gauges, my main complaint was the G-string. I really didn't want to put up with a wound G, so that makes it hard to find strings for what I do (C# standard). You have to look around, but you can find drop tuning sets that will give you the same general feel as you're used to right now.

I've been using the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky set, 12-16-24p-32-44-56, which has all the right gauges and no wound G. I'm not big on this brand, but I can easily find it. I think I'm going to start putting together custom sets from Just String, since it is easier than searching for a 22 or 24 plain string.

Comment

I've been playing guitar for quite some time and I've played many different strings. I'm not asking if it's possable to have a thin guage string drop tune to C, I'm asking what handles it best.
              Every string has a rating for it's tension in lbs, I'm asking what has the thinest guage and the highest lb tension rating.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm asking what has the thinest guage and the highest lb tension rating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impossible right there. I forget the exact formula we learned in high school physics class, but tension is directly proportional to thickness (gauge). You cannot have a thin string and have a high tension unless you increase length (the reason for baritone guitars), which is IMPOSSIBLE on a guitar with an obviously fixed scale length. That's why string tension is based on string gauge.

Comment

11-70 custom gauge. I usually buy a heavy 7 string set and bastardize it. You will most likely have to reslot your nut and possibly drill out your E and A tuner holes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Impossible right there. I forget the exact formula we learned in high school physics class, but tension is directly proportional to thickness (gauge). You cannot have a thin string and have a high tension unless you increase length (the reason for baritone guitars), which is IMPOSSIBLE on a guitar with an obviously fixed scale length. That's why string tension is based on string gauge.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is correct. all strings of the same thickness will roughly have the same stringtension in the same tuning...

I can see why you don't want thicker strings, I hate them as well, I realy do, but I am afraid, if you want to play in C you either have to accept thicker strings or get yourself a 7string

Harrald

Comment

Another option for strings is to look at the Zack Wylde heavy set. They are SUPER heavy gauge. Personally, I would go with a 7 string if I were dropping down that low.

Comment

well, I know meterial is a factor, nickle 9s will have a much different pull then steel 9s.

Theres also wrap-core relation. Imagine you had 2 different 60 guage strings, one with a thick core and thin wrap and one with a thin core and thick wrap, the pull will differ on those as well.

Comment

well, i dunno what else we can suggest to ya. everyone whose posted has told you the same thing. good luck, i guess.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

9-42 in C?!? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I could barely play with those spiderwebs in E or Eb on my Strat! I usually use 10-46 on guitars in E or Eb (Les Paul and Strat), 11-48 on guitars in Eb or D (Carvin and Dinky). The 11-48 on my Carvin I tried in D for a little bit, but I felt it was still a little floppy since it's only a 25" scale, so it stays in Eb. The Jackson is in D, but it's got the typical 25.5" Strat scale, so D is fine. Drop C works okay once in awhile, too, but I'd go up a little heavier if I were to keep the whole guitar in C.

Also, if you have a Floyd on your guitar, use five springs on the claw to help you a little.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

if your thinking nickel to steel is going to be a huge difference in tension, i think your wrong, it will be so small that you can't tell.

The only solution is a heavier string gauge to balance.. its like a see saw.

Comment

Working...
                              X