My guitar stinks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guitar stinks!!

Ok, while this is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, it's also the worst smelling. I know how to take care of the smell in the case, but how do you get rid of the smell on a guitar?? It's that old cigarette smell. Any ideas?

Re: My guitar stinks!!

Start smoking and you will not notice it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] J/K

Comment

Best answer right there [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'd say strip it completely of all the parts and polish the body and neck with lighter fluid or some other nicotine-cutting agent (Topol, the smoker's toothpolish!), scrub and oil the board, and soak the hardware (in individual pieces, which means take the bridge apart) in oil, and replace the pickups.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Lock it in the case with an open box of baking soda for around 1 week +. That should do it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Lock it in the case with an open box of baking soda for around 1 week +. That should do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome idea, i may have to try that!
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would NEVER but a nicotine acting agent on your guitar. take the parts off, scrub everything down with dunlop lemon oil, linseed oil the fretboard, dry and pilish like nuts, than use typical cleaner and polisher on it.

If you don't want to work to hard, try just making it smell like something else.

Comment

See usually it wouldn't bother me TOO bad, but it looks like I'm gonna start gigging again soon so I want all the girls to stand on my side of the stage, but I am afraid that the smelly guitar will repel them! Thanks for the info though, I'm gonna try it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I would NEVER but a nicotine acting agent on your guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and on the other hand, most of us would NEVER tune to C with 9-42 strings and expect them not to flop! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Too funny, Sully!

Comment

Nothing brings back that "new guitar smell" like a total refin! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I bathe with mine...

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com
                      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That does sound good. Mom always used in the frig. why not a case.
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          See usually it wouldn't bother me TOO bad, but it looks like I'm gonna start gigging again soon so I want all the girls to stand on my side of the stage, but I am afraid that the smelly guitar will repel them! Thanks for the info though, I'm gonna try it!

[/ QUOTE ] Dude, my gear smells like smoke for a week after every gig. Nothing you can do about that, except leave the good guitars home when you play out.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I had a used charvel tweed case that smelled like someone pissed in it...I had it for 2 years and I never got the pee smell out of it..my model 6 eventually picked up the smell and I had to clean it with alcohol all the time. I heard someone else say once that he had a charvel case that smelled the same way? Maybe its chemicals or something in the way the padding is made? Strange. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I noticed the old SKB "Chainsaw" cases had that "stench of piss" in a lot of them! I'm guessing the old tweed cases had that same thing happening too. On the other hand, my favorite smell in the whole world was the smell of a brand new brown/pink Gibson case. Try the baking soda thing Ethan...that should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                              X