Quick string changes in songs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick string changes in songs...

Since the bass players mostly frequent this area, I figure its best to ask a technique question here...

I'm a 'self taught' bass player so I have a lot of questions that come up a lot. Recently I've started playing more complex bass lines where I'm switching around the strings a lot, here's a quick example (easiest thing to tab)

(All 8th notes @ 220)
    -----------------
    -------3---------
    -2---2---3---3---
    ---0-------1---0-

What exactly is the proper fingering for the attacking hand? It seems more comfortable / natural to use just one finger but will this end up hurting me in the long run when I start playing faster?

Bonus points for anyone who can name the song that the riff is from. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Quick string changes in songs...

I use two fingers mostly, sometimes 3.

Can't name the song, sorry (can't play the riff either [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

there are specific positions for each finger on the fretboard just like there are specific positions for your fingers on the computer keyboard. you can learn to type fast with one finger on the keyboard, but you'll never be as fast as if you did it the right way.

That tab is in first position, so your index finger is responsable for fretting everything on the first fret, your middle finger hits everything on the second fret, your ring finger controlls the third, and your pinky is responsable for the fourth.

That's first position, I would recoment doing it this way until you absolutely master it than I would expiriment with different excersises like only using your ring finger, only using your pinky and ring finger, and only using your middle and ring finger to play entire songs, you'll get much more agile.

It will be tough to get into those habbits if you play with one finger for to long.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        will be tough to get into those habbits if you play with one finger for to long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's asking about the picking hand, not the fretting hand.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

If you're talking about the picking hand, there are two ways to do it. One is using your index and middle fingers, strictly alternating between them the way a guitarist alternate picks. The other way is closer to classical style, assigning your thumb to the E string, index to the A string, etc. This is great for arpeggios, but bad for speed.

Comment

i use the first three fingers mostly but sometimes use a pick for faster songs
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

For a riff like that one posted above, I'd hafta do it on a 5-string bass and transpose it to use the 5th fret/5th string instead of an open 4th string, just because it's harder to shut an open 4th string than a fretted 5th at that speed.

I could do it with finger picking faster than with a pick, but that would also depend on how long I had to play it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Threefinger technique is damn hard to get down, but once you do, there's no limits to what you can play. A fast threefinger motherplucker will be faster than any pick-wielding bassist.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I would play this using two fingers, like this (i=index, m=middle)

-----------------
                  -------3---------
                  -2---2---3---3---
                  ---0-------1---0-
                  -i-m-i-m-i-m-i-m-

This keeps your index finger "anchored" on the E string.

In regards to your other question, definitely practice scales and such using the "every other finger" technique. Get good at it, as it will help for those fast runs. But, when playing slower pieces, use whatever finger is most comfortable. Sometimes a reverse arpeggiated chord is played easiest by dragging your index finger down the G, D, A, E, and B strings. That's fine. If I were playing the same this ascending, however, I would use alternating index and middle fingers.

I say use whatever works for the song, but set some practice time aside to work on alternating index middle fingers for scales.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I would play this using two fingers, like this (i=index, m=middle)

-----------------
                    -------3---------
                    -2---2---3---3---
                    ---0-------1---0-
                    -i-m-i-m-i-m-i-m-

This keeps your index finger "anchored" on the E string.

In regards to your other question, definitely practice scales and such using the "every other finger" technique. Get good at it, as it will help for those fast runs. But, when playing slower pieces, use whatever finger is most comfortable. Sometimes a reverse arpeggiated chord is played easiest by dragging your index finger down the G, D, A, E, and B strings. That's fine. If I were playing the same this ascending, however, I would use alternating index and middle fingers.

I say use whatever works for the song, but set some practice time aside to work on alternating index middle fingers for scales.

- E.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
                    "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses... They definitely gave me some stuff to think about and the suggestions really helped.

AlexL - It is kind of funny that you mention alternating the middle and index fingers for scales. I'm not sure if this is what you ment but I usually finger...

m i m i m i (lead with the middle finger)

I tried doing some scale runs switching the pattern around and oh man (I know, sounds lame but I'm still a novice basser), I started screwing up a ton when switching strings came around. So now I have started doing scale exercises twice over (one with my index leading, the other with the middle leading).

My next post in here will involve integrating the ring finger / third finger which is an ongoing struggle for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh yes.. And the song was Hammer Smashed Face by the beloved C.C.

Comment

When I started playing bass, I had a real tendency to play ascending runs starting with my index finger, and descending runs with my middle finger. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My instructor told me I wan't the first to say this, either.

I adopted a similar practice routine as you, by alternating which finger I'd start my scales with, and also by forcing myself to start ascending runs starting with my MIDDLE finger, and descending runs with my INDEX finger (opposite of my natural tendency). Now, I almost always lead with my index finger, unless that sets me up for a tricky transition later in the run; then I'll lead with the middle finger.

The best thing to do is get comfortable playing any given run by starting with either finger, of course, so you don't have to think about it.

- E.
                        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                        X