Jackson Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Warrior

My friend has a Warrior. There are some features that I don't like for example the painted neck - but I was playing it this weekend.

He has a Bill Lawrence 500XL pup in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Silverbird in the neck.

Poplar Body. I dont know what wood the neck is.

Recessed Floyd Rose, ebony or rosewood fingerboard with binding.

Not as warm sounding or accoustically loud as my PC1.

I am more of a bolt on guy but I must admit this guitar has a lot of sustain. Maybe its just the pups I don't know.

But it seems to have more sustain than my previous SL2 although I don't have my SL2 anymore so I can't compare them side to side.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Jackson Warrior

If it's a poplar body (wings..assuming it's a neckthru) the neck is maple.
    Most likely ebony fretboard...does it have sharks?
    Sounds like an old modded US or Japanese Pro.

Comment

Yeah has sharks. Definitely is a USA - he bought it about 2 years ago.

I have a Jackson custom bolt on on order but I may get them to make me a neck though in the future.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

There's really no measureable difference in sustain between a neckthrough and bolt-on. I've had dozens of both and can tell you for a fact that this is true.
        How a guitar is set up (action, string size, pickups and how they are adjusted, etc) has more to do with it than anything else.

Your PC-1 is louder acoustically because of the maple top.

The SL2 had a lesser-quality JT580 trem and nut (unless you changed them all to OFR parts), and those trems/nuts are not the best at letting notes ring like an OFR setup.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          (unless you changed them all to OFR parts),

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I was worried I might have made a mistake in ordering a bolt on regarding the sustain.

I have a Duncan Custom 5 in my PC1 which sounds great but I may have to try the Bill Lawrence 500XL now that I have heard it in the Warrior. It sounds great and has great sustain.

By the way, what does OFR refer to?
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            By the way, what does OFR refer to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Original Floyd Rose
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              There's really no measureable difference in sustain between a neckthrough and bolt-on. I've had dozens of both and can tell you for a fact that this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newc...You know my opinions on this topic, and I have to disagree with you. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

There is a noticable difference between neckthru construction vs. bolt on. I know you are a firm believer in "wood does not transfer tone and overall output"...but it does! To the untrained ear, they all sound the same (I'm not accusing you of having an untrained ear)...but me as a builder, can hear the difference in different types of wood, and construction. It's the oldest argument in the guitar-building world. Neckthrus have a darker, but more sustained "timbre"...whereas Bolt ons have a brighter, and more focused output. Now yes, the parts (bridge, nut, tuners, etc...) does play into the final mix of the guitar's charecter. Brass having more sustain over say...steel. The sustain of a bolt on guitar stops at the neck joint...giving it it's brighter output. I'm also speaking in relation to these guitars being built of the same woods....let's use maple neck with mahogany body for example (Mahogany wings for a neckthru).

Comment

For a guy who is an absolute shred monster with 32nd notes flying, you sure are really concerned about sustain. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Newc regularly says something about how rare one ever needs to hold one single note in rock/metal for more than a couple measures anyways and that amplified distorted electric guitar sustain almost becomes irrelevant and redundant.

Comment

Yep, that's the other consistent point - when do you ever need a note or chord to sustain beyond one measure? (speaking, of course, in terms of "regular" time, not "special" time signatures where a given passage may have a measure that is considerably longer or shorter than say 4/4)

I've got Sustainiac Stealth Plus system that is really neat and all, but it's better suited for effects than "real" playing.

If neckthrough was inherently better than bolt-on, Fender would have died off long ago, and Arbor would be King Of The Hill [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

True. Even my Jackson KE3 (bolt-on) sustained longer than my Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (neckthrough) does. There was something magical in the setup of that Kelly that I'm still trying to duplicate on my Soloist, and the only way that has been so far was to have medium-high action (which I actually prefer lately anyways) and a very slight forward neck bow. Still fine-tweaking... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've gone off buying guitars for a while but I definitely want to go back to having a bolt-on again later on as I currently have one neckthrough and one setneck. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If neckthrough was inherently better than bolt-on, Fender would have died off long ago, and Arbor would be King Of The Hill [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said one was (inherantly) better than the other....that's a matter of personal taste [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

They each have their place in what you choose to use them for.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        For a guy who is an absolute shred monster with 32nd notes flying, you sure are really concerned about sustain. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Newc regularly says something about how rare one ever needs to hold one single note in rock/metal for more than a couple measures anyways and that amplified distorted electric guitar sustain almost becomes irrelevant and redundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh but you are assuming some things here. Yeah I go real fast some of the time. But good guitar playing is much more than speed. Speed is just one technique in ones arsonal.

I am continually working on phrasing and vibrato to put feeling and emotion into my playing.

I slow down a lot, use a lot of 5 or 7 note sequences and stacatto technique. I don't just play all the notes evenly spaced all of the time. I use a lot of vibrato. I try to make it intersting. Pure speed all of the time is boring.

I can hear sustain in a guitars tone. I don't know if that makes sense and may possibly sound silly but I can listen to someone play and can just tell if their guitar has a lot of sustain or not from listening to them play without them having to hold a note for a long time.
                        Personally, I like the sound of a guitar with lots of sustain.

Maybe some of what you say is correct in that it may not make a difference past a certain point. But I like to maximize the capability and potential of the tools I am using.

Put it this way - you ever hear of anyone complaining of a guitar because it has too much sustain?
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I once "complained" that my Les Paul's near-infinite sustain was redundant. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I still haven't found a use for all of it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I do judge a guitar's construction quality by several factors, one of them actually being adequate sustain. Monster sustain isn't important, but I'd rather take that than a guitar that fizzles out quickly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X