Removing Lacquer from Neck and Fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Lacquer from Neck and Fretboard

I recently purchased an old Model 1 with a maple neck and fretboard. I would like to take off the lacquer finish applied by the factory and apply an oil-wax treatment to get that unfinished feel of my Ernie Ball Axis neck and fretboard. Any suggestions on what to use for the stripping process of the neck and fretboard? Thanks.

Re: Removing Lacquer from Neck and Fretboard

well, you can scuff the clear with some steel wool and get a similar feel to an unfinished neck. but if you really want to remove the finish, the fastest way would be a chemical stripper. keep in mind though, that the fretboard is finished, too. you may not wanna remove that., and if you do, the stripper may mess with the plastic inlays.

good luck,
    sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully, that is my main concern, the inlays. I really want to take the lacquer off the entire neck and fretboard then treat the entire neck and fretboard with oil and wax. If I can find out what type of lacquer is used on these necks it would be a good start to determine what stripper would work best.

Comment

I believe the finish on the model series neck was polyurethane, not lacquer. Whatever it is, it is a thin coat, and I've found that 320 grit sandpaper will take it down to the wood quickly enough without using any chemical strippers or thinners. As far as the fretboard goes, don't screw with it unless you're willing to pull all of the frets and do it right.
        Now, if IS lacquer, there's a quick way to find out. Dab a little lacquer thinner on it and see if it softens the finish. Lacquer thinner won't soften poly.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
        X