Your biggest setup pet peeve is....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your biggest setup pet peeve is....?

Okay, we've all seen some incredibly stupid things done to guitars on the used market. So what bugs you the most?

I'll start:

I hate when someone puts the ball end of the strings in a locking Floyd or "licensed by" bridge. Apparently, nobody ever told them to snip the ball ends off.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Your biggest setup pet peeve is....?

I hate it when the ball end is stuck through the tuner and there is a billion wraps around the post. It just looks shoddy.

Comment

Since most people's first experience with a Floyd does not include instructions, they probably didn't know about cutting the balls off. Especially if they're Kahler users trying to look cool by using a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

People that wrap the entire wound string (4,5,6) around a tuning post [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

People that wrap an entire string around a locking tuner [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

3-way toggles that are set to switch straight up and down instead of at a more practical/comfortable angle! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
      What's worse is when the construction of the guitar makes it impossible to rotate the switch without hacking out some wood [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Factory-installed strap pins that balance the guitar perfectly straight like this:

Instead of at the proper playing angle like this:
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well thurston you'd hate my guitars!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] my biggest pet peeve is sending a floyd in to be intonated and having it come back worse than it was and having the tech say it's better!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I hate it when the ball end is stuck through the tuner and there is a billion wraps around the post. It just looks shoddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

+ infinity. i absolutely hate that. other than that, setups are personal preferences. can't say that i'd have pet peeves, other than that one.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Back bow. I don't know how many used Jackson guitars I've picked up that buzz everywhere, only to discover they need a simple trussrod setup. I hate how stores don't give them enough attention because they aren't a PRS, LTD, or Ibanez.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do exactly that for 1 main reason. Usually when I break a string on one of my Floyds it is at the bridge. With the extra wraps on the tuners I can go cheap when I break a string and just unlock the nut, unwrap some string and lock it back down on the floyd and I am GOOD TO GO!!! Especially for my guitars that get played all the time at home. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Since most people's first experience with a Floyd does not include instructions, they probably didn't know about cutting the balls off. Especially if they're Kahler users trying to look cool by using a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

People that wrap the entire wound string (4,5,6) around a tuning post [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

People that wrap an entire string around a locking tuner [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

3-way toggles that are set to switch straight up and down instead of at a more practical/comfortable angle! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                What's worse is when the construction of the guitar makes it impossible to rotate the switch without hacking out some wood [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Factory-installed strap pins that balance the guitar perfectly straight like this:

Instead of at the proper playing angle like this:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you were to have your 3-way switch positioned in a comofortable angle and you had your guitar's straps the way you like them so the guitar is in a comfortable playing angle, you'd have done a zero operation, seeing as your switch would now be up-down again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

-floyds blocked in both directions!
                  why not just buy a tune-o-matic and install a BB king stop peice.

-when you pay for a setup and you get it back and there is still crud on the fretboard.

-paying for a setup!
                  setting up a floyd is not hard - just time consuming. buy a book or look up how to on the net. once you understand the balancing act and longer = lower. its easy.

-floyd saddles that have been put on and set up in the wrong place or order. (messing up your string radius)

-the layer of someone else's crud built up on the underside of an old string on a used guitar.

-frets that are not level.

-and finally - awesome guitars that do not belong to me! hehheh!
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    well thurston you'd hate my guitars!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] my biggest pet peeve is sending a floyd in to be intonated and having it come back worse than it was and having the tech say it's better!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head with that one! That's why I learned to floyd set-ups myself.........
                    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      -floyds blocked in both directions!
                      why not just buy a tune-o-matic and install a BB king stop peice.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't always work if the guitar you want doesn't come in that config...you dig? i've got a slime green strat styled guitar that was routed for a floyd, so i put one on and blocked that fucker good!

...and noticed quite a sustain gain afterward!
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[quote
                        Well if you were to have your 3-way switch positioned in a comofortable angle and you had your guitar's straps the way you like them so the guitar is in a comfortable playing angle, you'd have done a zero operation, seeing as your switch would now be up-down again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you adjust the switch BEFORE you reset your strap pins - like a dummy [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

My JCF01 is like that - the switch is set to move straight up and down - like parallel to the nut - but it's so close to the edge of the control cavity cover/pickguard that if you turn it to move more forward/backward like it should, it bumps the side of the control cavity and you can't get the guard back on straight [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

"Old-school" guitar construction and design - that pisses me off. It covers the switch position AND the strap button placement AND makes the assumption that EVERY guitar should be played like Buddy Holly or Dwight Yoakum - straight out and flat like the first pic above. What kinda fucktard do you have to be to still think that's "proper playing position"!?
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Not really a setup issue per se but my biggest pet peeve is people who have absolutely no idea how to care for their guitars and are too cheap to pay for proper maintenance. E.g.:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] Yuck.......

Comment

YAO, I had to look away from that for a minute. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Did you find that at the bottom of a lake?

Comment

Working...
                              X