help with new wrmg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with new wrmg

just recently got a wrmg, and i really like the guitar except for from the 15th-24th frets its tough to get notes to ring cleanly, pretty much impossible to hammer on. however it plays fantastic below this point, i really like the feel there. doesn't really look like TOO much of an over bow but what the fuck do i know! as i've posted elsewhere here i've always brought my guitars to a tech but i think it's time i started being able to do my own setups. suggestions anyone? if i have to i will bring it to my guy cuz if its not an easy fix i still have time to return this thing, but if possible i'd like to keep it! [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Re: help with new wrmg

DO the notes grind out when you bend them or do they just die on certain frets?

Have you tried raising the action a little on that side?

If you want to check your neck relief:

Hold the guitar up like a rifle and look down the edge of the neck from the bridge to the nut (point it at a blank section of the wall so your eye is not distracted or your perception influenced).

Like this:

Never like this:

Look along the top of the fretboard along the Low E string all the way up to see if they're noticeably different (there will probably be some minor variations, but should all be relatively similar).

Next, flip the guitar over and look down the other side of the neck (along the 1st string). If you see a lump in the frets or back bow in the neck, loosen the truss rod a very little bit (a hair, a smidge, or a touch, but no more [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

it's definitely not a backbow. bends are fine,its when i try to trill and stuff. basically the thing plays fine up to the 15th fret, action is great, (i just took a much closer look at everything) but the action starts getting too high from about that point to the 24th, so there is too much of a bow right? or am i left?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] so should i tighten it a c-h? will this fuck the action on the lower portion of the neck? what else will need to be done? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
      Hear the universe scream
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

somebody help this retard will ya? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Hear the universe scream
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

Higher action in spots is relief, fretting out is bow (back bow).

Anyhoo, does the action go higher all in one or two frets or is it a gradual thing from the 15th to the 24th?
          If it's all at once, then there might be a problem with the neck or frets. If it's gradual, you might try putting a thin paper shim (business-type card) under the rear of the heel of the neck to tilt the neck just a bit. You may also have to shim the nut with a couple of slivers of standard printer paper if the first fret buzzes after doing this.

I'd also recommend getting an Original Floyd Rose tremolo in there to replace the JT580LP, as I've had problems with all but two I've owned - the 7-string was the best, and the one on a JTX Standard was very Floydish (could even do warbles!)
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks man. i probably should just bring it to my guy just to be certain theres no major issues before i run out of time to return it to musicians fraud. i'm convinced i will never buy an axe from these people again, i've heard some stories and they aint pretty! i'll certainly be supporting our fine dealers for the remainder of my playing career. fuck the whole walmart thing! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
            Hear the universe scream
            Whom horns careless
            And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
            X