solder on a new claw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solder on a new claw

I need to put a guitar together here in the next couple of days I believe I have all the parts now. I have a new floyd I am going to install, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me on getting that ball of solder on a new claw. I remember I tried this once before and decided to just use an old claw. Any tips guys?
    Just one more guitar!

Re: solder on a new claw

Scuff up the surface of the area you are going to solder with a file or sandpaper or rotary grinder. Also it helps to use a decent wattage soldering iron as the metal in the claw tends to wick the heat away fast. Heat up the claw area as much as you can before you add in the solder, then when the solder flows, keep the iron there a little bit to make sure there's some good heat for a good bond when the solder cools. Same theory works with soldering grounds onto back of pots.

Comment

Also, make sure you tin the ground wire. This will help make the joint stronger.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Using some soldering flux placed on the claw will work wonders. It will help the solder to attach to the claw versus just forming a ball on top of it.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Well I got a phone call right after I polished a spot on the claw. So I just held the solder iron on there till it has really hot talking the whole time and it worked. No flux required at least until I wanted to add my ground that is. I know I asked this question before and someone recently did also about nut heights. I put everything together and some of the strings were completely fretted out on the 1st fret. I put a whole pack of All-Part nut shims under the nut. I have a couple of brand new Fender Floyd Rose nuts I just bought. I might try one of those if the screws line up. It sounds pretty good. I still have a lot of work to do to get her finished. Here is a pic.

More info on this project here. LINK
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

I don't know how you work on anything in all that clutter! Lets get all that crap picked up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I don't know how you work on anything in all that clutter! Lets get all that crap picked up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Work, what is that?
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  You should see my room!! Right now I have an amp I fixed yesterday in pieces all over my floor, strewn about with my clothes, pedals, cables, stands, beer bottles, mail, CDs, speakers, strings etc...

Note that this is a cheap ass amp a friend gave me to work on before he ran away 2 years ago. I treat my "real" gear and client's gear MUCH better in my workshop.

Comment

It just has to get hot enough to accept the solder. Most solder nowadays is flux core so additional flux is not required and always make sure you tin the conductor before you solder it to the claw.

Comment

Working...
                    X