Hard mounting pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard mounting pups

Anyone know what those inserts that go into the body are called? I'm having a tough time tracking them down.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Hard mounting pups

<font color="aqua">Nope, I don't what they're called and whatever you're thinking, it's a horrible idea ! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Naaa, all of the possible horrible ideas present in the universe have already been implemented upon the body of that poor V. Anything I do, including chopping it into kindling, will be an improvement. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

What inserts? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I thought you just used pointy screws like on singles? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Or do you mean the Machine Screw Inserts like modern Floyd posts use?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I beleive they are called wood. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Glue the wood into the cavity at the correct height and bolt in your pups. I wouldn't do it to anything I cared about but a buddy of mine did it to his Explorer and it sounds great.
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

wood insert nuts...
            http://www.profhdwr.com/55008.htm

Comment

There it is, thanks MountainDog that's exactly what I was looking for. Now if only someone would tell me size I need for use with standard humbucker height adjust bolts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Standard humbucking height screws are thinner than what you can get the insert nuts for. StewMac has the humbucker screws as size 3-48. The smallest insert on the webpage above is 8-32. I found another style insert that is 6-32 (for reference 6-32 is the screw size for holding in a strat single coil). 6-32 size insert web page

The thicker screws would work, you'd just have to drill the hole in your pickup's mounting ear to accommodate the larger diameter screw.

You might try doing a websearch to see if you can find insert nuts in the smaller diameter.

By the way, my work uses the 8-32 one with the flange like the 1st website and also uses the 6-32 w/o flange like the 2nd website. PM me your address and I can mail you some along with the screws to match

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The thicker screws would work, you'd just have to drill the hole in your pickup's mounting ear to accommodate the larger diameter screw.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Of course, if you're gonna drill out the pickup mounting holes, you might as well just use wood screws directly into the wood. I just cut 2 small pieces of wood and stuck them down into the space made by the "end plunge cuts" (Warmoth's term), so I wouldn't have to drill into the body. My pieces were tight enough for a friction fit, but they could be glued in.
                  Here's a link to Warmoth's site, showing direct pickup mounting.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, once again this place rocks! MountainDog - many thanks for the offer but I'll just pick some up locally now that I know what I'm looking for. I know the little ones exist because GMP uses them on all of their truss rod / cavity covers. I really don't want to wreck the pup to install it this way.

Comment

YAO, I have a GMP pawnshop special so I know of the little brass inserts you are talking about. I think those are actually the type of inserts used for pressing into plastic. They will work if you get the hole right so you can press them in and also use CA or epoxy to help hold them in. We have these at work too, in 8-32 and 6-32 like the other inserts and also have in size 4-40
                      I believe these are officially called "threaded inserts" so you can try a search with that term.
                      Here's a couple pics so you know what I'm referring to:
                      insert pic 1
                      insert pic 2

Comment

Working...
                      X