Change volume pots with SD Humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change volume pots with SD Humbucker?

I've never changed out a pickup before but want to replace the stock Jackson JSX-94 humbucker with a Seymour Duncan SH-12 Screamin' Demon. (Used) I don't know what the stock volume pots are rated for since I don't have a meter to check it...but I'm guessing I might need to change it out too?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I suppose the wiring will be fine?? Anyone know what these stock pots are rated??

I'm not a tech head and have always spent too much money having someone else work on my guitars.

Thanks.

Re: Change volume pots with SD Humbucker?

The original pot should be a 500k. Use that one, you'll be fine.

Why didn't you call me...are you afraid to after the last guitar I wired up for ya [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks Patrick..I'll leave it in there. Nah not afraid to call you just didn't want to bother you now that you're pre-occupied with the new baby! Besides, I kinda thought you might see this and answer it for me..lol.

And BTW, you did a great job gettin' that Charvel sounding good. It's damn fine guitar!

Later bro. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The only time you have to change the pot when you change pickups is when going from passive (Duncan/DiMarzio, etc) to active (EMG) pickups.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The only time you have to change the pot when you change pickups is when going from passive (Duncan/DiMarzio, etc) to active (EMG) pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha..thanks.

Comment

Or from single coils to humbuckers. Single coil pickups take 250K pots. Here is the most common breakdown for you:

Passive Humbuckers 500K
            Passive Single Coils 250K
            Active EMG's 25K

Comment

Yeah, if you've got singles in the bridge or are using one of those guitars that has more than one Volume knob [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I heard/read somewhere the Jimmy Page LP had 250K volumes?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You can use 250k pots with humbuckers to give them a warmer sound. The JB was originally made with the 250k pot in mind. I think a lot of people don't like the JBs with the 500k pots as it makes it sound too bright with all the treble and high mids that pup has. Never tried it with 250k, but I didn't care for it in my Hamer when I had it with 500k.
                My Fender Double Fat Strat actually has a 250k tone pot (stock from the factory) for the bridge Pearly Gates Plus. That pup is a little on the bright side, so the 250k is supposed to beef it up a little. The tone control for the '59 neck pup is a 500k, and the volume is also a 500k.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yup. No rule for 250k or 500k for hums.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                  X