2 piece neck-through?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece neck-through?

Well, you learn something new every day...

So I've had this nice neck-through Carvin acoustic/electric for a few years. And I've just recently noticed that it's not a one piece neck. (...So I'm not the most observant person. My wife would probably agree. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Thanks to more knowledgable JCFrs, I've learned about 3-piece necks and multi-laminates here. But this had me scratching my head. A little hard to tell from the pic, but it's a two-piece neck-through.

Anyone ever heard of this? Why two vs. three? Let me state that the neck on this guitar is rock solid. Never moved on me at all, and very firm. She's all mahogany too, BTW. I'm very curious. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: 2 piece neck-through?

Mahogany is a soft wood, and one long piece can't handle the string and truss rod tensions pulling in different directions for too long, so they have to use 2 and 3 pieces to maintain stability and straightness without putting too much truss rod pressure on it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Carvin mentions on their site and in their catalog that their mahogany and koa necks are two pieces. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] They also off alder as a neck wood for any electric guitar (it's standard on their Holdsworth models) and I believe that's two pieces as well.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Mahogany is a soft wood, and one long piece can't handle the string and truss rod tensions pulling in different directions for too long

[/ QUOTE ]

Structurally, sure a 3 piece neck will be superior. But that doesn't mean a one-piece is a pile of firewood. Plenty of folks do one-piece mahogany necks, even Jackson. AFAIK, the SL2H-MAH is the same set-up as a normal SL2H: a one piece neck w/scarf joint. Here's a pic of one...

SL2H-MAH

I guess I wasn't so clear with my question, though. I can understand a 3-piece being stronger than a one-piece. But I'm not sure I understand how a 2-piece would be, too? ...Then again, I didn't really understand the workings of a 3 piece until that was explained to me, either. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Interesting about the SL2HMAH - but then, isn't Mahogany usually flat sawn for laminated necks? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And now that you mention it, the mahogany neck of my NASL is one-piece. Fascinating.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As a matter of fact...Carvin's maple necks are the only 1 piece necks. It's the only wood strong enough to handle the string pull.

Comment

I guess the X Series Martin acoustics have taken this idea to the limit...so many layers in that neck that it's solid as a rock, but they sound like shit!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I guess the X Series Martin acoustics have taken this idea to the limit...so many layers in that neck that it's solid as a rock, but they sound like shit!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the "You can't get blood from a stone" theory there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I just remembered, Carvin puts two graphite rods in their necks for stability. That's obviously a contributing factor, also.

Comment

Working...
                  X