EMG 89 Emergency!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 89 Emergency!!

Ok, I'm brain dead. I can't figure out how to wire this darn thing in. Here is what I have:

EMG 89 Color code is:
    Braid, blue, green, yellow, orange, white
    25K pot with the standard 3 lugs on it
    Stereo 1/4" output jack with 3 lugs on it also
    2 Battery clips with red and black wire (they are wired in series for 18 volts).
    I don't want to coil tap it so I have no use for the instructions provided with the EMG that show the wiring schematic for a push/pull pot with the DPDT switch on it.
    All I want to have is an EMG 89 in humbucker mode with 1 25K volume pot running on 18 volts.
    Can one of you EMG experts please help me out on this??

Re: EMG 89 Emergency!!

Green to Center knob lug, outer knob lug to jack, jack and battery as normal, everything else flapping in the breeze.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I tried that Newc and I got ground noise and low output. I got it working just now.
      Green to center lug
      Blue and orange soldered together and taped off.
      White and yellow flapping in the breeze.
      The EMG 89 directions show the DPDT switch and they show the the orange conductor either makes contact with the blue in humbucker mode or it contacts the yellow in single coil mode when you activate the push pull switch. I only want humbucker so I just soldered the blue and orange together. That just left me with the green which is hot and the yellow and white which are the single coil wires. I assume the white wire is the single coil hot wire and the yellow would then have to make contact with the orange for single coil mode.
      I guess I must have it wired correctly. The guitar screams and is completely silent. Also, I measured the red power wire that comes out of the EMG89 against ground and it reads 0 volts with no cord and 18.2 volts when I plug a guitar cord in to the output jack.
      Yippeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Somebody should pin JGC's diagram/explanation for future reference [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Good Idea. EMG does not have instructions on how to install an EMG89 unless you use their DPDT push/pull pot.

Comment

Most people would just get an 85 for non-split operation, but ya use what ya got [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you using the old guitars wires? if so there is sheilding in the cable and will ground itself out.
              Use all new wires.
              But really, you can email EMG direct and they will email you a wiring diagram for exactly what you need. They are REALLY good about this. and send it over in a timely fashion.
              Just tell them exactly your configurartion and what you want done.

[email protected]

:-)

Comment

Working...
              X