Bizarre problem... thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre problem... thoughts?

Ok, i've owned over 150 guitars and NEVER run into this problem...

I have a brand new guitar and I need to tweak the truss rod, no problem, right?

Wrong.

The first screw comes off the truss rod cover, no problem. However, screw 2 and 3 will not budge. I am afraid of stripping the screws, and have no idea what to do. I can send it back under warranty, but i'm sure they're gonna laugh their ass off when I say I can't get 2 screws out from the truss rod cover, plus I don't want to risk sending out a pointy headstock for this.

Thoughts?

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

(p.s. i'm not a moron, I know it's righty tighty, lefty loosey) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Bizarre problem... thoughts?

why send the guitar to them when you can have them send you 2 new screws? I mean are you scared you'll totally strip them or just mar them but be able to get the scre out?

Comment

the screws probably have glue in them. One quick twist, and the glue should break free.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, weird. Maybe warm them up a little with the tip of a soldering iron first? Worst case scenario, you need to replace the two screws. No biggee.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Yeah, weird. Maybe warm them up a little with the tip of a soldering iron first? Worst case scenario, you need to replace the two screws. No biggee.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">That is a an excellent idea, I would go with this. Also, not sure what driver you're using but maybe you could find one with a larger handle to get the extra tork behind it. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

they do that so people who don't know what their doing give up [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

j/k

Comment

<font color="aqua">OMG! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just saw how I spelled "tork"! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry, it was a very long night last night....that should read "torque" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

Comment

Tork sounds like a character out of Beastmaster [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Tork sounds like a character out of Beastmaster [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Dave ->

Comment

My real fear is snapping the screws in half since they are so small. If that happens, i'm left working on a pointy headstock which is fragile to begin with, and having to drill out the half of the screw still left in the headstock. Not what I want to do on a new guitar.

Comment

Make sure you get a very very pointy screwdriver - one that fits as snugly as possible in the slots, and turn them very gently while pressing down firmly.

Best way to do it is to lay the guitar across your lap so the bend of the headstock is across your thigh, center your body over the screwdriver, and press down into the screw firmly to keep a good bite on the screw. Grip the driver with both hands and turn it very slowly.

You may also want to lay down about 5 layers of electrical tape on the headstock next to the cover so that if you do slip, you don't scratch.

If the screw head starts to strip, drop some loctite or krazy glue in the slot and glue the screwdriver bit to it. Let it harden and try again.

You can also get a screw-extracting drill bit (reverse spiral) but I'm not sure they come that small.

As a last resort, you can sacrifice the truss rod cover and cut a thin slot in the head of the screw if it's starting to strip and use a flathead driver. Personally, I hate those things.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">That is a an excellent idea, I would go with this. Also, not sure what driver you're using but maybe you could find one with a larger handle to get the extra tork behind it. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I also concur with this idea!!
                        EXCELLENT advice! soldering irons can free up lots of things that are hard to move or remove.
                        Really a great idea.
                        Also, if its not glue binding it, it may be laquer overspray as well or even paint. Ive seen that before.
                        If the rod is binding itself, drop a couple drops of multi purpose 3-1 oil in there and let it sit.
                        this also will help free up tight truss rods as well and will not harm the wood or anything.

Once you get it resolved, be sure to tell us what really ending up causing the trouble.

Comment

Ok, the soldering iron worked, hit both screws for about 5 seconds, and they turned.

Thanks guys, i'm alot calmer now than I was last nite...

Comment

<font color="aqua">cool, Ralph, feels great don't it? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

Comment

I'm glad you got it figured out. Another handy piece of advice is that if you DO strip out a phillips screw, all you have to do is get a nut file and turn your phillips screwhead into a standard screwhead and then go from there...

Comment

Working...
                              X