Clear coating and wet sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coating and wet sanding

After preaching about my favorite brands of finishes and techniques for years I decided to try some new products (new to me!) After experimenting with several different brands and methods I've stumbled across a system that has amazed the shit outa me!!! These are not brand new products but I'm kinda "old school" and have been stubborn about changes. For all of you who are painting your own guitars, this may be useful info.
    First, the clear poly (and this will work great with any brand of base color). It's branded "Omni", and is the MC260 "quick clear". It's actually made by PPG and is their 2nd line product. I prefer the medium catalyst, but they offer it in fast, medium, and slow (depending on temp). This stuff lays on like glass, and buffs EASY!!! The resulting gloss is second to none!
    Next is the sanding method. Throw away that wet/dry paper! I tried a product made by 3M they call "Fine Finishing Film". This is a mylar backed abrasive that can be used with a DA sander. The beauty is you can use it Dry! Let the clear harden over night, then use the 1200 grit Finishing film (part# 00850) to flatten the surface. On a guitar, this would probably take less than three minutes front and back! Then follow that with 3M "Perfect It" rubbing compound and you'll have a mirror finish in no time. The clear buffs so nice you can do it by hand. I use a buffer with a wool pad though.
    Here's a car I just finished. Normally I would spend about 3 hours per panel wet sanding and buffing. With these products I averaged about 30 minutes per panel and it looks like glass! I have to say this is probably one of the nicer paint jobs I've ever turned out and it took me about 1/4 the time I'm used to. Somebody MUST try this n a guitar, it works! (Sully???)

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Clear coating and wet sanding

Nice [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sweet!

Two questions. First, what is a DA sander, and second, does the poly buff easier because it is softer?

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

hey mark! i've been using Omni's AU mc161 clear and have good results with it. next time i need more (i only got a quart yesterday, so it will be relatively soon), i'll see if they have the 260. very cool news! i don't have a DA, and didn't think to get one, but i may pick one up at the depot. is the finishing film hand-sandable? i'd guess it may be a bit awkward to use for hand sanding, as i'm sure they're circular pieces, but just wonderin. doing that with a DA would make me a bit nervous of going thru the clear a lot faster than i would by hand, but it sounds like a pretty good idea to try in the near future.

keith a DA is a Dual Action sander, kinda like a random orbital sander. a DA is an air tool that would be connected to an air compressor. here's an example of what one looks like:

thanks mark! your insight is always helpful.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, the reason it saves time is because it cuts faster. So if it's removing material more quickly then that's where care must be taken. It's like anything else, it takes a little practice and finesse. And yes, I'd recommend using a DA. The 161 is good clear also, but the 260 buffs out much nicer and easier.

Comment

nice, i've noticed more orange peel than what i had hoped in todays clearing, so maybe i'll pick up the 260 with my next purchase.

thanks man!

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">Hmmmmm.. now there's a familiar looking car [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks again for the info, bro! By the way, talk to you in about...oh, ummm..let's see...3 hours? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] As always, great talking with you- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

note the sig, bro! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Nice 69 bird there. I like it!
                RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Nice job! As far as the Omni goes, it looks great but I question the durability and longevity of the shine. There's a reason why PPG doesn't warranty this line. I've been a die hard PPG Global user forever and until I got this new job I've never used Dupont. Let me tell you, the 4600 clear blows away anything PPG has. The shine is unbelievable and it lays like glass!
                  As far as using a DA I would recommend a "palm sander" or "finish DA". they are less aggressive and can be used with one hand. Also a 3M interface pad between the DA and the paper is a good idea also. If you like the Perfect-it stuff you should try the "Presta" stuff!

Comment

Ahhhh.....more stuff to try! Thanks for the info Ray. It just shows that you never quit learning in this game!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      nice, i've noticed more orange peel than what i had hoped in todays clearing, so maybe i'll pick up the 260 with my next purchase.sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully, I doubt the 260 will orange peel any less than the 161. The most likely cause of the texture is too low of air pressure at the gun or using an inexpensive hvlp gun. Both will yield poor atomization of the clear and result in surface texture. If you want to lay it on like glass use a good high pressure gun, 1.3 or 1.4mm fluid tip, and have a good constant regulated 45 to 50psi at the gun. HVLP guns are great for base colors but to get one that'll lay clear nice is very expensive. I use all HVLP guns for primers, sealers, and base colors, but when it's time for clear I always use high pressure. Beware that with high pressure guns you're going to create a lot more overspray so ventilation becomes even more critical. If you're going to be painting with this stuff I also recommend an air fed respirator with a full face mask. I can hook you up with a guy that builds some nice systems for around $400.00. It's money well spent!

Comment

thanks mark; i'm using a 1.4 tip, but may have been shooting under the 50 psi range.

sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X