First time restrining a Floyd. Guess what? Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time restrining a Floyd. Guess what? Problem

Ok so today I restrung my Floyd for the first time (dun dun). I had D'addario heavy bottoms before (10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52) and the guitar was set up for this gauge. Everything sounded good, I only had buzz on the G string (not enough to bother when amplified) and the rest played great.
    Now today I restrung it, and it's tuned. I didn't lock the nut yet, it's just resting. Tomorrow I will intonate it (er... try... I've only kinda just started guitar. About 3 months ago) and see if I have to raise the action. But can you guys give me tips already? Right now the G string buzzes when played open, on the frets. The others don't (unless of course I slam them). When fretting though I get quite a lot of buzz that I did NOT get before. I don't really understand that. Right now I'm using Ernie Ball Slinkytop Heavy bottom.
    Help would be appreciated... Thanks
    I just locked the nut and played a few chords. It's been more than an hour since I replaced them all. It's still buzzing, even over the distorsion and amplified sound.
    The options I have are get a new nut or loosen the truss rod. Now I LOVE this neck but I don't think a quarter of a turn to the left will harm it? Will it most likely solve my problems? What else should I consider? Thanks a bunch...

Re: First time restrining a Floyd. Guess what? Problem

If the G string is the only one buzzing out, and it happens when fretted as well as open, you may want to try shimming the G string saddle. You can get shims from Allparts, Stew Mac, or just make one from a pop can!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

No, all chords buzz when fretted now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I forgot to edit: only the G buzzes when open, but when fretted they all do.

Comment

Raise the Floyd a hair and see if that helps. If it doesn't, loosen the truss rod about 1/8 turn. Make small gradual adjustments on both. You should find a happy spot. If not, a fret level and polish may be in order if you like very low action.

edit: and yeah, that G string may be a nut problem. (did I say that??????? LOL!)
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I did a fret level already [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
          It looks like I need my nut checked for the G stirng to fit... (as long as there's no ban for these jokes, guitarists will keep on doing them eh? )
          I don't know what tool to use for to adjust the truss rod... I had a look inside the cover and it's a weird thing... er... so yeah I couldn't figure it out. I'll try to raise the action. I don't have the allen key though so I'll see if I can buy one. Thanks for the tips!
          For the truss rod, an eight and then let the guitar rest for a day right?

Comment

I got the allen key I need. Should I adjust the posts with the Floyd off the guitar or is it ok to do it with it being on...?

Comment

Re: First time restrining a Floyd. Guess what? Pro

it's fine to do it with the Floyd on the guitar.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I just did... And it didn't change anything.
                1/8th of a turn leftwards then?

Comment

Please people... I really need help on this one.
                  I found out that only the E string and the A string buzz when fretted, and not that much for the A string. They didn't before...

Comment

If your truss rod is at the nut you should be turning it 1/8 of a turn at a time towards the low e string side.
                    Do this up to 4 times max if you have to waiting at least 10 minutes per turn. Retune everytime you touch the truss rod. Check back and let me know.

Comment

Thanks! I shall try but I need the damn tool... An allen key won't do on a model series guitar and noone around here has the tool [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                      So I turn it an eight, tune, try it, and if it buzzes, leave it for 10 minutes, check and do it again?

Comment

Yes. Exactly. My guess is you need to add relief to your neck. What I explained is exactly how to get relief.
                        Sometimes when you remove the strings on a guitar that is set up for a fairly heavy gauge the neck relief changes and needs to be adjusted. Make sure you retune to pitch after every 1/8 of a turn and check it and let it sit for a while. That is the most important step.

Comment

Thanks! I shall look for a tool right now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            If your truss rod is at the nut you should be turning it 1/8 of a turn at a time towards the low e string side.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] You're telling him to tighten the truss rod? Righty, tighty (towards the low e). Lefty, loosey (towards the high e). By tightening it, it's just going to bring the strings closer to the board.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I have been told to do it to the left first. I thought that was towards the E string if facing from the body to the neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X