Fret ends/sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret ends/sharp

I have a couple of questions someone her can probably answer. My brand new Sl2H/mah has some sharp fret ends. 1) Can these be made smooth without damaging the binding? 2)Is this something that is commonly repaired under warrenty? I really Like this guitar and don't want to send it back if this can be done without cost or damaging the guitar.Thank's

Re: Fret ends/sharp

2 things.
    1. climate could cause the fretboard to shrink exposing the fret ends. It you grind them smooth and the fretboard expands you will wind up with short frets.Make sure the wood is totally acclamated to your environment. You would be surprised how much a fretboard shrinks and contracts.
    2. your fretboard might not be shrunk. It this is the case, either take it back for an easy repair or you can do it yourself. There are files made specifically for that problem. StewMac sells them. You could also use a Dremel tool but you have to be really careful not to remove too much or some of the fretboard or binding (if it has binding)

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...;page=0#441330
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

The guitar is brand new and I wonder if filing the frets will damage the binding/clear coat on the side of the fretboard.

Comment

How long have you had it? Where did it come from?

Comment

I have had it 2 days and it came fro New York.

Comment

Let it sit for a while. The climate in NY is completely different from the climate in CA. I would give it a week and see what happens. I would let the place you got it from know what the situation is but I wouldn't attack those fret ends until the guitar settles in. Leave it out of the case on a stand for a few days.

Comment

Well, I will call the shop and see if they will give me some extra time. I have called a couple of autherized service centers here and they seen to think it is no big deal to fix. They say after a good buffing I would not be able to tell and it will be covered under warrenty. The frets do not stick out past the binding just a little sharp while sliding along the neck.

Comment

In that case a little minor buffing is no big deal and it should be most definately covered under the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                  X