Adjusting action on a hardtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting action on a hardtail

I just got a guitar with a Fender-style hardtail for the first time and I'm unsure about how to adjust the action while keeping a proper radius. With a Floyd, the radius is already set and I can just raise or lower the entire bridge. But on a hardtail, with each string individually adjustable, how do I maintain the proper radius while making the action slightly higher on the bass side?

I know I can do it with some feeler gauges and some math, but I was wondering if there's some easy trick.

Thanks.

Re: Adjusting action on a hardtail

Just follow the curvature of the fingerboard. Normally, the outside strings, E & E, should be lower, with the A & B strings a little higher, then the G & D strings a little higher. Just go by what feels right to you and adjust accordingly.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I can get that far, but what do I do after that if I want the action a little higher on the bass side? With a Floyd, I could just tilt the whole bridge a bit.

Comment

Just raise the low E saddle a little bit higher to where it feels comfortable for you. It's not really a big deal if it's higher than the others. And if there's a dropout in sound on that side because it's higher, you can always raise that side of the pickup a little or adjust the individual pole pieces of the pickup. Experiment and see what works best for you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ok. I was thinking you had to be a little more precise than that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X