Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding?

I never done no wetsanding, so this is a total newbie question:
    If I wanna smooth a rough/chewed up poly finish I just get a pan of water and some sandpaper that says "wet or dry" and get with it, right?
    Electric sanders and water is still a no-no, correct? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Wet sanding?

Start with a grit that's rough enough to mark up the finish. Start with a 600 and gradually go finer until you get to 1500 or 2000 (this might take a while, and use lots of water). Use a sanding block, don't use your fingers or you'll make grooves in the finish. Be careful not to get water on any wood that is not painted. If it's not sealed enough, the water will cause the wood to swell and crack the poly. Beyond that use buffing compound. Be careful not to go through the finish [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Be sure to remove the metal studs before you start sanding [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

check out this site ,Ijust did an EVH strat using this book and it came out sweet www.paintyourowngiutar.com

Comment

txcharvel nailed it....
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

<font color="aqua">a little dishwashing soap in the water keeps everything "smooth" as well.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ....think of it as a lubricant and no, I'm not kidding. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            check out this site ,Ijust did an EVH strat using this book and it came out sweet www.paintyourowngiutar.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought this book as well. I've painted before, but there were still a few good tips in there.

Comment

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/ &lt;--- fixed link ---

Yeah that guy had a book on Ebay - RacerX found it and suggested it was perfect for me (sarcastically of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
              I may check into that before I get started - and not it's not the Halford - that one's staying like it is [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Some people recommend using mineral spirits instead of water to avoid the problems caused by water getting into unfinished areas. I believe Jim Shine has mentioned it a few times here.

Comment

yeah, i second that. i've been doin a lot of that myself over the past few days. even though i'm using 2 part urethanes with hardeners in the clear, you can still get those raises when you use water.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/ &lt;--- fixed link ---

Yeah that guy had a book on Ebay - RacerX found it and suggested it was perfect for me (sarcastically of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
                    I may check into that before I get started - and not it's not the Halford - that one's staying like it is [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that guy now actually has a guitar world column on the topic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

one thing to watch out for is that mineral spirits will act as paint thinner on some kinds of paint (the rattle can kind, for example). if you do use water, be very sparing, and wipe the area dry as soon as you move from that area to the next.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've done this kinda thing too, but with plain old rubbing alcohol. If it does seep into the wood, it evaporates too quick to raise the grain, and won't soften the finish like mineral spirits would. Most poly finishes are alcohol-safe.
                          I've done it with favorable results.

Comment

Be careful of the edges. There is much less clear on them.

Comment

truer words.....
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X