Solution for sharp fret edges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution for sharp fret edges?

One of my axes has sprouted some fangs! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, it wasn't like this when I got her. But, apparently, a couple of months later and the weather/humidity conditions here seem to have slightly changed the neck. It's not moving on me at all, but some of the fret ends seem to be slightly poking out of the sides where they weren't before.

Nothing major, mind you. In the grand order of things, this is not a big deal - just a slightly different feel. The neck edges aren't as silky smooth as before. One of those ever-so-mildly annoying dealios. And it'll probably go back two seasons from now anyway.

But, were I to try and fix it, what are the possible solutions?

Re: Solution for sharp fret edges?

Filing/rounding the fret ends.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

pat, are the fret tangs visible on the side of the fretboard, or did they cut the tangs short and fill in the fret slot with some sawdust? if the tangs are present, you can take a jewlers' file and take some of the edge off. kev has this issue when the weather changes, too. when it changes back, the neck is fine. if you don't have a jewlers' file ( and what kinda freak doesn't? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) you can use an emery board.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yeah I use a jewlers file and then I run down the side of the neck with some very fine scotch brite..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Interesting. I suspected that smoothing the ends might be a proper DIY project for us non-luthiers, since the ends just need to be smooth, not shaped, like the tops of the frets need to be.

Comment

I usually pull out the angle grinder It's nice and quick.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              pat, are the fret tangs visible on the side of the fretboard, or did they cut the tangs short and fill in the fret slot with some sawdust? if the tangs are present, you can take a jewlers' file and take some of the edge off. kev has this issue when the weather changes, too. when it changes back, the neck is fine. if you don't have a jewlers' file ( and what kinda freak doesn't? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) you can use an emery board.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the tangs are visable. Thanks, guys. I'll give it a try. ...Hopefully, sometime soon. But I'm having some work done around the house, so the guitars are going back in their cases for a little bit.

Comment

This is a Sl2H/mah and has binding and is brand new. I always thought Jacksons had a silky smooth feel but not this one. I just want to know if fixing the frets will damage the binding? The ends of the frets do not actually stick out they just are not smooth like my others.

Comment

Working...
                X