TOM and intonation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOM and intonation

If a Tom is installed and is not at a angle will it be hard to intonate it? I found a nice guitar with aftermarket TOm installed, and its not at a angle... like most gibson TOMS.

The guy says it intonates right, but I don't know..

Re: TOM and intonation

The angle just gives more adjustment to the end strings. Get him to commit that you can return it if it won't intonate. If he's so sure it will intonate ok, then he should go for that. If he does, make sure you check it out as quickly as possible - don't wait a month and then yell at the guy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I don't think the angle of the whole bridge is as important as giving the saddles themselves enough travel room just in case you need to reintonate.

Comment

I've got a Carvin SC90 with TOM bridge that's not angled... it intonates fine. My Jackson Dinky HX is the same way, as was my old JJP. Come to think of it, I think most Jacksons with TOM bridges are not tilted.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Indeed, Jackson does not angle their TOMs as much as Gibson does, and to be honest, every TOMd Jackson I've had was hard to intonate except for the Rhoads models, but then those were slanted properly, and in the case of JCF01 and the PCS RR I had, the bridges were a lot bigger (often called 'harmonica' bridges because they are so wide), so the saddles had more room to move.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X