No announcement yet.

Guitar polish on matte satin finishes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar polish on matte satin finishes??

What kind of polish can be used on the faded/worn Gibsons? They've got a matte satin lacquer finish. I've heard that over time these finishes can become shiny if rubbed a lot. I just usually dust my LP off lightly with a cloth. Is polish a good idea on these, or maybe some lemon oil or something? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Guitar polish on matte satin finishes??

Any regular guitar polish should be fine. Maybe try the Martin polish in the pump spray bottle.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Lemon oil is a very potent acid. if anything will make your finish shiny and wear down the satin texture, lemon oil will.
      I since it's a matte finish, and you don't need it to shine, you really don't need any chemicals, I'd cloth it dry and use that canned air stuff that you buy to clean crud out of keyboards to remove the dust from it.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Just the other evening, I tried that Dunlop Formula 65 guitar polish crap on my satin nitro Les Paul and gloss poly Soloist:

http://jimdunlop.com/products/mainte...o65/index.html

I had asked the dude at the store whether it's safe to use on both nitro and poly finishes, and he said yes. I don't use a lot when I spray, but just a little bit with a soft polishing cloth goes a long way. It's supposed to be safe for everyday use, but I am a combination of already clean + paranoid + lazy, so maybe my guitars will get cleaned/polished twice a year maximum. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've already got the whole Dunlop kit laying around that I use on all my other guitars (not that I use it that much anyway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), so I might as well use it on the LP.

Comment

The best thing to use is plain 'ol soapy water or even windex works well. Don't rub too hard, just wipe it down gently. Anything labeled "polish" will probably eventually shine it up and you'll lose that nice satin feel.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

If it gets shiny you can just hit it was some 400 grit sandpaper .... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The best thing to use is plain 'ol soapy water or even windex works well. Don't rub too hard, just wipe it down gently. Anything labeled "polish" will probably eventually shine it up and you'll lose that nice satin feel.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yeah, that's what I was thinking about "polish" and it possibly getting shiny. Guess I'll try the slightly soapy water or windex tip. Thanks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    If it gets shiny you can just hit it was some 400 grit sandpaper .... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Now there's an idea! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmm, does that mean I can take that Dunlop Formula 65 polish stuff that I have and apply it to my matte/satin Les Paul and make it gloss if I really put some elbow grease into it? I think I'd like that very much... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] I've always loved the wet/shiny look of glossed guitars.

Comment

Yes, if you put a lot of elbow grease into it, you can get it to shine. I've heard that from your skin or clothing rubbing on it that it can get shiny over time. I just actually noticed my neck seems a tiny bit shiny now in spots from playing it, so I guess it's true.
                        I was also reading either on the Les Paul Forum or HC yesterday that some people have used lots of polish or car wax and really dug in with the cloth to get the satin finishes shiny. I really like the satin feel and don't want mine to get shiny, but I guess it's inevitable over time. Though, the satin finish does show dings and worming/buckle rash a lot more than on a shiny gloss finish.

Comment

I think I've got my weekend planned out now! Wake up, eat, shine guitar, sleep, repeat on Sunday! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

As you know, my Les Paul has a gloss neck and a satin body. Double-you Tee Eff Mate? So I'm gonna match the body to the neck. Not gonna satinize the neck this time... my Les Paul's neck surprisingly isn't sticky at all! Probably the slickest gloss neck I've ever slid my thumb across. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I thought the satin body and gloss neck on yours was a little strange, as I would have figured it would have been the opposite. I really do like the feel of the satin neck, but I've got no problem with high gloss either. Let us know how it goes when you shine that body up. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

That's IF I ever manage to shine it up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The polish and/or my vigorous polishing action better not wear through the paper-thin layer of nitro lacquer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course, I'll take some "after" pictures as well. Already got me my "before" pics. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I think this one is the best one to illustrate the gloss neck and satin body:

Comment

Working...
                              X