Floyd Rose vs Original Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose vs Original Floyd Rose

Here's one to ponder (or maybe I'm just not in the know! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Look on Jacksons custom shop quote form and for the bridge options, you will find the listing for a Floyd Rose and a listing for an Original Floyd Rose. They are both the same price. I assume (and you know what happens you when you assume!) that the Floyd Rose has the "Floyd Rose" logo and the Original Floyd Rose has the "Floyd Rose Original" logo. New Jacksons come with "Floyd Rose" logoed bridges, but if you go to the Floyd Rose website, they only offer the one with the "Floyd Rose Original" logo.

My question is, is there any difference between the two other than the logo having the "original" or not? I'm curious, because I just bought a brand new Floyd Rose original. I was going to put it on my PC-1 and take the slightly pitted Floyd off of that for my 95 Charvel Reissue which is badly pitted.

Any thoughts?
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Floyd Rose vs Original Floyd Rose

Me too, I just ordered a RR-10DX that has the sh%t "Floyd Rose" and ordered and "original" Floyd,(I,m hopeing that it fits) I guess it's just the guitar that you bought?????
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

As far as I'm aware, they're the exact same thing. Not sure why they've been designated differently through the years.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They are exactly the same, it's a bit weird why Jackson would offer both. Whether it says Original or not is neither here nor there.

Interesting luck you're having with gold Floyds though, the one on my 95 SD1 is still looking good, no pitting at all, and it spent years in a store before I bought it.

Comment

Yeah, it may be a fluke on the Jackson form. It wouldn't be the first one. I figured they were the same.

The PC-1 isn't that bad at all, but the CHarvel, yeah it's pretty bad. The baseplate is in great shape, it's just the saddles. They are pitted and rusted under. I was going to go for new saddles, but that would have been close to $100 so i figured I'd spend the extra $69 for a new OFR.

I thought $169 shipped was an awesome deal for a gold OFR. I would post the supplier, but I think that may be against the "protect your dealers" rule. anyone interested, PM me and I'll fill you in.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I thought there was a "cheaper" Real Floyd Rose being Made, They look the same, but The Original One is made by Schaller, the other by Gotoh, But says "Floyd Rose" different metals are used too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I thought there was a "cheaper" Real Floyd Rose being Made, They look the same, but The Original One is made by Schaller, the other by Gotoh, But says "Floyd Rose" different metals are used too.

[/ QUOTE ]
              No, any version I've had or seen that says just Floyd Rose has been made by Schaller. I've never heard of a Gotoh version that said Floyd on it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                No, any version I've had or seen that says just Floyd Rose has been made by Schaller. I've never heard of a Gotoh version that said Floyd on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Posepatrol may be thinking of this version. FLOYD

Not all of the new floyds are branded "Floyd Rose Original". The one I got from Scott (Vwall) just has "Floyd Rose" like the trems on USA Jacksons. It came from Floyd Rose in the old style black box, not the red Floyd & Fender box.

Chris
                Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I think Posepatrol may be thinking of this version. FLOYD

Not all of the new floyds are branded "Floyd Rose Original". The one I got from Scott (Vwall) just has "Floyd Rose" like the trems on USA Jacksons. It came from Floyd Rose in the old style black box, not the red Floyd & Fender box.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Isn't that just a typical Floyd? I know Fender has owned the rights to Floyd for a long time... did they change something on them for use on their own guitars? I got a couple Floyds from Carvin like 10 years ago, they just say Floyd Rose and have the Made in West Germany on the back. I thought the ones that said Original Floyr Rose on them were just old-school versions but the same thing.

Comment

This is the one I just ordered for my RR RX10D. (hope it fits without routing work)

http://www.floydrose.com/original.html
                    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

guys that pic that Chris posted is NOT a real Floyd Rose, its the best Floyd copy I have ever seen though, I have one so I know its not the real deal.

I believe that are no difference between the Original Floyd Roses that say original on it than the other OFR's that don't have the word original on them. I just bought a brand new Floyd Rose Original, said so on the box yet it didn't have the word Original on the baseplate. Oh' yeah...it says made in Germany on it as well which would indicate it was made by Schaller.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks shawn, I,m going with a Schaller instead of a OFR. Should drop right in my RR RX10D to replace the jt580lp thats on it now.(just wanted to make sure it fit without having to modify anything)...........

Comment

i would think that what they ment by "floyd rose" would just be a liscensed shaller FR (like jt580 or jt580lp). and the OFR would be the original or "fender" FR. while the Floyd Rose Pro is the ibanez edge looking versions ----> http://www.floydrose.com/pro.html
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I always assumed that the form meant "Floyd Rose" = the licensed version from the imports and "Original Floyd" = the real deal on USAs.

Remember, for a couple of years around the mid-90s, the import trem was standard equipment on USA production models (SL2, DR2, etc). The descriptions on the custom shop form might be a hangover from that era.

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Isn't that just a typical Floyd? I know Fender has owned the rights to Floyd for a long time... did they change something on them for use on their own guitars? I got a couple Floyds from Carvin like 10 years ago, they just say Floyd Rose and have the Made in West Germany on the back. I thought the ones that said Original Floyr Rose on them were just old-school versions but the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

"guys that pic that Chris posted is NOT a real Floyd Rose, its the best Floyd copy I have ever seen though, I have one so I know its not the real deal.

I believe that are no difference between the Original Floyd Roses that say original on it than the other OFR's that don't have the word original on them. I just bought a brand new Floyd Rose Original, said so on the box yet it didn't have the word Original on the baseplate. Oh' yeah...it says made in Germany on it as well which would indicate it was made by Schaller." - Shawn L.

Shawn is right. The trem on that Fender is a licensed version. The only guitars I have ever seen that trem on have been Fender imports. There is nothing stamped on the back about where they are made, and there are some small differences between those and real Floyds, especially the area around the knife edges. They have "Floyd Rose" on them in the typical area it's supposed to be, but it's laser etched in the finish, licensed by floyd on the fine tuner piece and that little wierd symbol by the bar post. I used to have one too, and they are the closest thing I have ever seen to a real Floyd as well. I had a pic of a real Floyd and one of these side by side to illustrate the differences, but can no longer find it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The Floyd I got from Scott had "Original" on the box, but not on the baseplate just like Shawn's. There are no differences between the ones stamped with original or with just Floyd Rose. Both are made in Germany by Schaller.

Chris
                              Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Working...
                              X