NECK/FRETBOARD REPAIR QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NECK/FRETBOARD REPAIR QUESTION

<font color="yellow">Is it possible to have a fretboard replaced on a guitar neck??

Now, before I go any further, let me explain my case and opinions.

First and foremost, I'm a player, not a collector, I just like to have nice guitars to play.

The guitar/neck in question is Jackson San Dimas Strat #1255, neck/body/plate match W/O# and is a zebra body/OFR with maple/maple pointy.

Previous to me owning it, somebody had a pro refret/scallop job done on the guitar.

What is the feasability/economic possibility of having the fretboard portion of the neck replaced?

Would it be better to just find a replacement neck and leave the original as is??

Also, I have a wild-idea to somehow find a 22 fret maple/ebony replacement neck with a 2 1/4" heel with a Strathead and slap that together.

Please, thoughts on this. I'm new to the vintage SD game people.

Thanks.
    </font>

Re: NECK/FRETBOARD REPAIR QUESTION

Removing the original board would drop whatever resale it has simply because it was permanently removed instead of just permanently altered (though with a coupla gallons of wood putty...) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd look for a different neck. It's cheaper.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Removing the original board would drop whatever resale it has simply because it was permanently removed instead of just permanently altered (though with a coupla gallons of wood putty...) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd look for a different neck. It's cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Eeeeek [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Thanks Matt....honestly, I don't really care about resale value of the guitar. It is a strange variation of the zebra print which I haven't seen before (not that that means a lot though) [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll just throw the neck in the case and find an alternate for it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am still curious if this is possible though [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Definitely possible. Budman had a thread in here a while back of him and Mrs Budman (Budwoman?) de-boarding a Model 5. Pics and everything.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It depends on how deep the scallop is, if its deeper than the fretboard then it can get ugly. It is possible for sure though, just don't know the costs involved.

Perhaps you can make a trade with someone wanting a maple/maple neck. The scallop would be tough but it wouldn't stop me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

It´s possible, any decent luthiier can do it....but it will probably cost more than getting a Warmoth neck (if USA Luthiers take similar prices to European ones) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sammy, it can be done but like others have said, will be very expensive. The neck on Scoopy has had this procedure. That's why the guitar got parted to begin with. The neck was back bowed beyond simple truss adjustment, and was also partially scalloped. I eventually had GMW do the surgery, and it came back like a new neck...complete with "back of the neck dirt/grime/mojo removal" at no extra charge. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

A new fretboard will cost some money. If the scallops are shallow, maybe the board could be planed and refretted. Otherwise, you are better off getting a replacement neck and saving the original in the event you want to resell it.

Comment

Go with another neck. Considering the desirability of maple boards (for some reason I personally don't understand) you could probably come out good on a trade. The new All Parts adds show a FMIC licensed pointy headstock neck with sharkies!

Comment

Keep it original Sam Dimas,if it bothers you too much get another neck but keep the original neck too bro!!

Oh,& nice avatar too!!!!!

Comment

I'd say keep it that way if you can. I only did what I did cuz the neck was unplayable.

Comment

Working...
                      X