Bass cab help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass cab help.

I currently have a Peavey 4x10, which works great and sounds pretty damn nice for the amount that I paid for it, but the problem is that my vehicle that I have cannot fit a 4x10 enclosure into the backseat, frontseat, or trunk. We're starting to gig regularly and unfortunately we're running into the transport issues because I can't get my cab down from my other band's practice space without having a truck or someone else's car that has a bigger backseat.

So my question is, would it be a better choice to get two smaller cabs and run those instead? Perhaps a 2x10 (or 2x12) and a 1x15? Those would be a lot easier to transport (I could fit them in my backseat) where as my 4x10 is just a behemoth.

If the answer is yes, what cab configuration should I use? I play a 5-string (Bb is the lowest string), in one band and the bassist for my other band uses my cab as well but we're just in D. My rig in one band is a SVT 4 Pro (not mine) and the other rig is a Carvin R1000. Also what would be a good pick for a reasonably priced new or used cab to go for? Carvin immediately comes to mind (2x10, 1x15 Red Eye cabs would be nice), but what about Avatar or perhaps even something else?

Any help from you bass dudes would be great. Thanks in advance.

Re: Bass cab help.

i'm using a legend 2 x 10 for highend i got on ebay for less than 200 shipped. nice cab for the money. the seller says it will handle low b but i'm biamping.
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

My favorite bass cabinet is the Ampeg SVT410HLF, but I don't know if this will help at all since you're having issues with space.

Comment

Check out Avatar for high quality speakers in inexpensive cabinets. People on talkbass swear by them. I am currently using a 210 & 115 setup and really like it.
        "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

maybe look into Hartke.
          You can still have a 4x10 but thier cabs are smaller than conventional cabs. I use a hartke VX cab, but they have a transporter series that are very compact, very lightweight, and sound like thunder.
          http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...&brandID=3

the thing is only 2 feet by 2 feet and barely over a foot deep.

Comment

Get a bigger car. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm a fan of 1x15"s. I currently use an Ampeg 4x10" and a 1x15" classic series. They fit in my backseat pretty well. Can you fit 2 15"s in your car?

Comment

I actually have a really big car, the door clearance and trunk clearance are just too small. I can't fit a 4x12 in the trunk, nor can I fit it in the back seat... Its a pain in the rear!

Comment

I really suggest checking out the hartke cabs.

Comment

I am NOT a fan of Hartke cabs..XLs and especially thoise shit transporter cabs

I blew two of them while hardly pushing those fuckers..

overpriced peices of shit if you ask me..

well you didn't ask me...but I'm telling you anyways! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

How about a 1x12? How about even better, 2-1x12s? I have two Aguilar 1x12s and it is a fat, punchy rig using a GK 700RB head.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I am NOT a fan of Hartke cabs..XLs and especially thoise shit transporter cabs

I blew two of them while hardly pushing those fuckers..

overpriced peices of shit if you ask me..

well you didn't ask me...but I'm telling you anyways! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you match impedance correctly? I've toured With the same 2 cabs for years. They sound increadably, have been very loyal to me, and overpriced? They are like 300$ it's not like they were a huge investment for you. There aren't cheaper speakers in the industry with similar quality.
                      I'd back thier products 100%

Comment

Dude.....yes....DUH!!! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Hartke .. snort , honk and fart when pushed to a moderate level..even with the low end sucked out of it.

money is no object with when it comes to the right rig man...Carvin is 10 times the quality for the money..no comparison!

I've had every good bass amp imaginable..and been playing bass for over 25 years.

I'd take Ampeg or even Peavey stuff before I go Hartke..

I knew two other dudes that ran a stupid 400 watt Biamped GK 800 RB into those as well and blew em just as I did...

you'll probably blow it eventually...you'll see.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Buy some EV prolines or some Carvins and thank me later..better off with the Carvin for the $$$....they are amazing speakers that don't fart no matter what you throw at them..I know because I've tried! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah I was convinced Hartke was the shit too...especially when I bought two spankin' new XL cabs for some pretty good money at the time...my balls were busted when I discovered they friggin' sucked ass...they sound OK when your practicing in your bedroom...crank 'em over a loud drummer and guitarist and they can hardly keep up without poppin' and fartin'....I blew it at band practice...when I'm not even up as loud.

ehhhhhhh... [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Get the Carvins...and the guitarist and drummer will have a hell of a time ....well being heard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have no use for Hartke stuff.. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a Carvin Redeye full stack. It's my backup amp (mainly because I like to avoid using it.. I want to keep her new) I agree, 200 times better, but his problem is space.

Your just not going to get anything else in the size for the money and quality. I've never blown any Hartke speakers and I've beaten them a fair amount.

Comment

Working...
                          X