Gun Stock Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Stock Oil?

I saw a copy of a Charvel work order...It said that the neck was finished in "Gun Stock Oil"...Is this oil applied directly to an unfinished neck and rubbed-in? Is this all there is to this step or does it require periodic maintenance? I am asking because one of the necks I have is completely unfinished and I would like to protect it without adding a glossy coating

Thanks everyone,

Dan

Re: Gun Stock Oil?

Typically 'Tung Oil' is used. It leaves a beautiful oiled finish without being oily or gooey. I have never used it on a guitar, but I have on a gunstock. Holds up well should leave a satiny finish, not glossy.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Jackson and Charvel both use gunstock oil and from what I've heard (from Jackson), no maintenence or re-application is required.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

guns belong in video games.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          guns belong in video games.

[/ QUOTE ]
          This is completely off-topic and uncalled for [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

We´re talking about finishing a neck here, not trying to start a pointless political debate [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend BOILED linseed oil over gunstock oil or tung oil. Tung oil takes too damn long to dry... ditto for the 2 gunstock oils I've used (tru oil and I can't remember the other). Go to home depot, get some boiled linseed oil, give it three or four good light coats (dry between, should take 15-30 minutes depending on your temperature and humidity) and you're good to go.

Pete

Comment

I prefer gunstock oil.
              If you read the direction on the bottle...
              All should be well.
              You can pick this up at your local walmart or gun shop.
              I have never had any problems with sticky or gumminess to the necks after I strip them and apply the gun stock oil.
              But as mentioned here, there are other options as well.
              They will all get pretty decent results.
              And to concur, Jackson does use gunstock oil...

Comment

orignally charvel used danish oil on all their necks...
                danish oil doesnt hold up very well..and it dries slower.

I wouldnt recommend tung oil unless you dont plan on playing the guitar for a while... plus tung oil does not hold up well to the acids/moisture in your skin and it will definately gum up over time...

you can add a catalyst such as naptha to speed the drying time...

caseys makes a very nice gun oil and i love the product... it holds up very well over time..a good hard moisture proof finish.
                there is no such thing as NO maintanance unless its clear coated
                all oiled necks require reapplication over time , with gun oil the interval is much longer in between...
                gun oil sets up very quick as well...

boiled linseed oil is probably the best of the 3 as far as conditioning the raw wood goes...you can speed the drying time of that product as well with some jap dryer or naptha...

Comment

Another vote for boiled linseed oil. I have been using it for a while now with great results. I did look into "gunstock" oil and thought that it was too much of a "finish" for my taste.

Do NOT use raw linseed oil. Stinks and is not easy to work with.
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Well, I haven't tried gunstock oil myself. But, considering that J/C uses it, I dig the feel of all my newer oiled necks. (I suspect that has just as much to do with their buffing process, though, as it does the type of oil used.)

And I've personally done the linseed oil treatment, which turned out great on my GMW. Highly recommended, too.

Comment

do you guys use linseed oil on unfinished maple fretboards?

I have to try the boild linseed oil. I tried the tung oil and I didn't like it, too long of a process for drying.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

birchwood casey gun stock oil. wipe it on wait five minutes wipe it off your done its what music man uses and i have had great results with it.

Comment

Boiled linseed oil here too. I've used tung oil but it
                          takes a lot longer to dry and you need to buff it out a lot
                          more than the boiled linseed oil. My blue GMW is due for an oil treatment
                          next string change and it's going to be boiled Linseed oil.
                          I asked Neal Mosher about this as well when he joined the board and he also said boiled Linseed oil,
                          and I kind of like his work so I can go with that answer. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

definately boiled linseed oil on a raw fingerboard...a couple coats and steel wooling in between, good to go.

I do agree gunstock oil can build a thicker feeling finish than desired.. you gotta use it sparingly, its very durable and you dont need much to build a finish.

what I do is use natural watco danish oil [recommended by jackson] or if its on a pointy with the yellow stain I mix oils to get that goofy color.

if its a guitar I play alot, I will put one light coat of gunstock oil over the fully dried danish oil and use 000 steel wool to knock the sheen back down.

this way I still get the natural ambering from the danish oil , but the protection form the gunstock oil...

I called caseys and they claim their product doesnt yellow over time so that might be something to take into consideration if you are wanting your vintage charvel neck to look untouched.

Comment

I prefer to use Gunstock oil like most others, but on my personal guitars I prefer to have the wood 100% raw, and just polish it every so often w/ 0000 steel wool [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X