Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Tell if Fret is Popped Up

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to get in and work on my new DK1. One thing I found is that every string on the first fret buzzes when fretted. I took a straight edge and tried the rocker test and sure enough, I can rock the straight edge back and forth off the 2nd fret. So it looks like the 2nd fret is high. I looked at the second fret and visually it appears to be seated properly. Is there a way I can tell for sure if the fret is popped up? Maybe it just needs some filing?

Thanks,

-Rufue
    Jackson: DK1
    Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Re: How to Tell if Fret is Popped Up

<font color="yellow">It may just be a quick fix from your local tech to dress the frets a bit.

I wouldn't do it yourself [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

That's my advice anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. </font>

Comment

Hi LPC,

That is great advice for sure, but I would like to learn how to do fret work for myself. Ever since I started playing guitar 3 years ago, I have become increasingly interested in the technology and workings of guitars. I can do my own setups and pickup changes now. The next step is to learn about frets and how to install and maintain them. I saw that stewmac has some books and videos on the subject. I might check out those resources, they seem pretty extensive.

Comment

the stew mac books and videos are a great resource, but I would start on a junk neck. It's sooooo easy to screw up your frets by trying a level for the first time. I would buy a junk neck or guitar and use that first. Once you feel comfortable, then move onto your DK1

Good luck!
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

See this previous thread about a high fret:
          http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=4#421373

If the rest of the neck plays fine and it's just the 1st fret that buzzes, there shouldn't be a need to dress the frets...esp. if your guitar is a new Jackson! Once that 1st fret is back in place, it should play fine.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I think I will get some tools from stewmac, and visit the local pawn shop for a cheap guitar to experiment on.

-Rufue

Comment

Working...
            X