Scale Lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale Lengths

Anyone know what exactly i need to do to fit a 25.5" scale neck on my 24.75" ps3tl body?? I know it involves changing the size of the neck pocket, but how?

Re: Scale Lengths

You would have to increase the scale length, so you would be moving the neck further away from the bridge.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

so i would mount the neck further up the body than the neck thats on it?

Comment

Since when is a PS3 a short-scaled body? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] According to the 2000 catalog, the PS3T has got a 22-fret neck with 25.5" scale.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i dont know, i always thought it was a 24.75 scale length, maybe it isn't though i put the neck off my ps4 on it, and it wouldn't intonate, so i'm confused

Comment

Yeah, those Rhoads models, the PS3 and PS3T (tremolo version) are both 25.5" scale. Not sure why your neck isn't intonating right.

Comment

is that a definate answer? scale length is nut to bridge right? so i measure from the fine tuners to the part of the nut nearest to the tuning pegs, or is it different?

Comment

You can measure from nut to bridge saddles, or nut to 12th fret and then just double that amount.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  i put the neck off my ps4 on it, and it wouldn't intonate

[/ QUOTE ]

Right there is your problem! PS4 = 24fret, PS3 = 22fret

The additional two frets on the PS4 neck causes the intonation problems when bolted on a body made for a 22 fret neck such as a PS3. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Chris
                  Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Yup, there's no quick solution to making a 24-fret bolt-on Rhoads by just throwing a 24-fret neck onto a 22-fret Rhoads body, unless you want to relocate the neck pocket and therefore lose the neck humbucker.

The neck you have there is a 25.5" scale 24-fret neck. The body you have there is a body made for a 22-fret 25.5" scale neck. As far as I know, Rhoads guitars were always 25.5" scale and I know not of any short-scaled Rhoads.

Send a PM to Bobvex and see how he did his 24-fret Rhoads project. He moved the neck pocket and lost the neck pickup and the end result was a one-humbucker 24-fret bolt-on Rhoads which I assume you're trying to make, judging by your username. Don't worry, quite a few Bodom fans have already tried what you're trying and the solution is the same all the time here in this Tech Q&A section of the forum.

I used to want a 24-fret Rhoads, but then I asked myself, how often do I even use frets 23 and 24? I got my Les Paul a couple of months ago, and realized that I have NEVER used anything past 22, and I am no longer fussy about getting only 24-fret guitars. Hell, my acoustic guitars are all 20 frets.

Your EASIEST solution may be just to buy a JS30RR if you can live with the fact that it has a TOM/string-thru bridge configuration.

Comment

Do like i did, move the whole trem cavity about 2/3" closer to the neck. Of course you also have to block and redo the pickup routes, at least the bridge one....... fiberglass resin worked very nicely for my project. This guitar is awesome.

And yes, i need the 2-octave neck (24 frets) because a lot of stuff by Symphony X, Rusty Cooley, CoB, etc. uses the full range of the instrument. Somehow i feel an electric guitar with less than 24 frets is incomplete.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

ok so, i need to mount the neck further down the body, i have no neck hum anywayz, do you think my local luthier would be able to do this for me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          is that a definate answer? scale length is nut to bridge right? so i measure from the fine tuners to the part of the nut nearest to the tuning pegs, or is it different?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO. When measuring scale length, measure from the bridge saddles at the exact point where the strings pass over the saddles to the fretboard side of the nut. Or as Toejam said, you can measure from the fretboard side of the nut, to the 12th fret, and double it.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            i put the neck off my ps4 on it, and it wouldn't intonate

[/ QUOTE ]

Right there is your problem! PS4 = 24fret, PS3 = 22fret

The additional two frets on the PS4 neck causes the intonation problems when bolted on a body made for a 22 fret neck such as a PS3. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Oh yeah, that would be the problem. I forgot the PS4 neck had 24 frets. I actually did have one of those necks on a Warrior MG body at one time.

Comment

do i need to move the neck closer to the bridge, or vice versa, and like i said in my previous post, is it something a guitar luthier could do easily?

Comment

Working...
                              X