Duncan Dimebucker vs Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Dimebucker vs Custom

I have been using the Dimebucker for a while now, I have read alot about the Custom on here. I love the tone of my Dimebucker but I want something warmer but with alot of bite to it.
    I don't play clean at all so cleans mean nothing to me, I am looking for a nice tight Tech/Death/Grind kind of pickup without going EMG.
    If you have any other ideas I am open to suggestions.

Re: Duncan Dimebucker vs Custom

I have had both pups. I had the Dimebucker in my SL2 as well as the Custom 5.

I now have a Custom 5 in my PC1.

The unique thing about a Custom 5 is that if you turn the volume down slightly - like to 8 or 9 - it gets more focused and you can get more dynamics out the it.

I have always found you just have to put a new pup in and try it with your existing guitar and equipment to know how it is going to sound and if you like it or not.

But personally, I like the Custom 5 the best of all the Duncans.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

bill lawrence 500xl, lacks a little low end but IMHO its close to an EMG81. & i just recently tried a duncan distortion i think im hooked.

Comment

I'm very much a fan of the custom. To my ears it was very smooth while still staying high gain, and also seemed to be very articulate and balanced. A lot depends on your rig too, and how much gain you happen to use. With the right gear I do think it can do what you are looking for.

On a side note, does SD still have the trade in program where if you are unhappy with a certain pickup within 30 days of purchase, you can trade it in for a different model? I know I traded in an invader that I was not happy with for a custom myself.

Comment

What kind of guitar (wood) are you using? I've had mixed results with a lot of the Duncans, but swapping between bodies has worked out well for me. For instance, I hated the Screamin' Demon in ash, but really like it in basswood. The Full Shred sounds close to an EMG in an ash body, but closer to a JB in alder. Didn't care for the Duncan Custom in alder, and traded it away.

Although I don't use it myself, I'd consider the Duncan Distortion to be the best all-around Duncan for metal.
          sigpic

Comment

I have both, and they are both good pickups. I prefer the Custom over the Dimebucker though. May I also suggest you try one of the new Mighty Mite Motherbuckers. I know, it ain't a Seymour Duncan, but they cost a lot less, and are really great pickups.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Where could I find a Mighty Mite Motherbucker? I would like to try one of these out, from the reviews they sound interesting.

Comment

Try the Kent Armstrong version. ULTRA HIGH OUTPUT!!!!!!!!
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I bought mine on Ebay brand new. I think StewMac sells them too.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

these threads on pups always give me a headache! too many choices...how does emg's sound on a kv2? i got the stock pups...don't know if this makes sence..but i'm trying to get more saturation out of it.Does that make sence?

Comment

You can find them at www.dancingdragonguitars.com [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X