whammy problem buggin me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whammy problem buggin me

when my whammy bar is loose(so it spins freely)it makes an awful sound. ive tried wd-40 and the like with no help.
    anybody got any ideas?

Re: whammy problem buggin me

<font color="aqua">What kind is it? </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dont put any (more)WD-40 in there, that stuff attracts dust and crud.

Comment

Use a multi purpose lub oil or some 3 in 1 and put some on a Q tip and clean the shaft where the bar threads in.
        I Like 3 in 1 high performance penetrate.
        Then put some more on a cloth and clean the threads on the arm real well.
        Also, you can take a small, toothbrush sized, medium bristle wire brush and clean the arm threads too.
        Id clean it until it leaves no more residue.
        You may also want to check the threads to make sure it's not cross threading.
        There are several more tips but you'll figure it out [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Dont put any (more)WD-40 in there, that stuff attracts dust and crud.

[/ QUOTE ]

WD-40 has graphite mixed into it and as it dries is designed to leave a graphite residue behind as graphite is a lubricant .. hence the dust and crud ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

i used wd-40 on a floyd that had similar problems and it worked quite well.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i used wd-40 on a floyd that had similar problems and it worked quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I have used WD 40 in many cases. it does work great... And I still do use it at times.
              HOWEVER, you must get it all cleaned off becuase in the long run, it =will do what the others mention above AND it will also become gummy/sticky over time. It is petrolium and after sitting for a long time gels back up...

Comment

WD-40 is really made to keep water out of the area you are lubricating. It truly is an amazing substance, but not a great choice for anything relating to guitars. It does do a great job of removing Tape/sticker residue.

I'd use a tiny bit of white lithium grease, but I use that for just about everything. A little goes a long way in situations like this.

Comment

how about massage lubricant?
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                  X