stud for schaller raised up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stud for schaller raised up...

I was playing my 750XL today and I looked down and noticed that the stud on the treble side of my schaller seems to have raised up out of the body. I was doing a set up on it and adjusted the truss rod and was going to lower the action when I realized I couldn't because of this. Do any of you guys know how I can get the stud to be flush with the body again?

Re: stud for schaller raised up...

Uh...let Ron sit on it? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nah, just take the strings off and remove the trem from the route. Lightly tap it back in with a hammer. If it continues to come out, they are readily available as replacements and perhaps yours is stripped out. There are tiny little "grippy" thingees that hold onto the wood inside. Shouldn't be a big deal.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] pound it back down.

seriously.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

can I be lazy and somehow pound it in without taking everything apart?

On a side note I am glad I just need to hammer it in lol I was freaking out for a second there.

Comment

You probably could, but why risk striking the bridge and doing more damage? Actually, if you detune the guitar really slack you should be able to press the post back in under your own finger power. But I would recommend a soft towel over it and strike it firmly but gently with a hammer.

Comment

lol i just hit the alan key posts with a hammer and it worked great

Comment

Thanx guys, that was the easiest fix I have done.

Comment

So you didn't even need to call Ron in? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

If it comes out again, pull it out completely, put a few drops of thin superglue or epoxy in the hole, and reseat it again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I just realized I need to get the frets recrowned too. I love this guitar but I guess these are the joys of buying a guitar from 1989 lol.

Comment

^ don't super-glue it in there!!!!!! what if you want to change the bridge afterwards??

another trick: pull it out, put some thin masking tape around it, and then hammer it back in.

I would use a wood pole or something, and not hit the bushing directly. And yeah it's a good idea to remove the post, since hammering it while it's in the bushing will put all the impact on the threads.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        ^ don't super-glue it in there!!!!!! what if you want to change the bridge afterwards??....

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you do what you should have been doing in the first place: Heating the insert a bit w/ a soldering iron before pulling it. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

It´s details like this that separate luthiers from most techs (not to bag on techs, most luthiers were one at some time, yours truly included.) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

oh, i didn't think of that.

but don't you need to heat it up more than "a bit" for the super glue to come loose?
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Last time I had this happen, I used my drill press to push the stud back in. Worked great!

Pete

Comment

what i'm wondering is WHAT can cause the bushing to pop out, other than pulling upwards like crazy on the whammy bar ........... ?????

Comment

Working...
                              X