Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first EMG install a success...one problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first EMG install a success...one problem?

It was a pain in the ass and took twice as long as I thought it would. The bridge pickup route was too small and the 81 wouldn't fit so I had to dremel out some wood. I finally squeezed it in there and the bezel wouldn't line up so I had to dremel out some more wood. Also the wiring diagram was wrong on how to wire the switch

I wired it up for 18v and it sounds great. The only problem I'm having is there is a low static/crackling sound that can be heard even when the volume is rolled off. It goes away if I touch the input jack or any of the knobs. Any ideas on what that could be or how to fix it?

Re: My first EMG install a success...one problem?

When I install EMG's I always make sure I ground everything (even though they say it isn't necessary). Make sure there's a ground to all the pots, body, trem claw, jack, and switch...

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

Make sure that the string ground has been disconnected; the wire that goes from the trem claw to the volume pot for grounding.

Comment

Actually, Joel, EMG requires you to ground the pickups. They recommend you NOT ground the strings to a common ground however. That means you don't connect the trem claw to the ground. But an EMG will not operate if the outer shield is not grounded. A lot of people are saying you don't have to ground EMG pickups. Wrong, you do. What you don't have to ground are the strings...
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Well I've narrowed it down to either the jack wires or the tone pot. I think the fact that the ground and hot wire for the jack are not shielded and pass right under the bridge pickup is what's causing the noise. Everything that is supposed to be grounded is grounded. I just got some shielded wire so I'm guess I'll find out.

Comment

I have had a few problems with EMG wiring.
            Or should I say lessons learned over the years.

1) I used existing wire from a Jackson guitar! NO do not use this as most of it is metal/aluminum shielded and will cut your signal. If you have that wire in the set up, replace it with single regular insulated wires.
            2) if you are not getting sound, you may have over soldered the Pup braids to the back of the pot.
            Crazy as this sounds, I have done this before. You look at it and go awww, look at what a neat solder job I did and then trouble shoot and find that its over soldered.
            Strange but has happened.

Additionally, I also make sure to not let the grounds touch, I know if your grounding it all to the vol pot why cant they all touch.
            I have found that its best that if you wire the #3 pole to tha casing, ground it there and leave it alone. Then ground the other wires to a different side of the pot so they are not grounded together. for some reason, it seems to behasve better this way [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            Just my little analities I'm sharing.

One last thing, the leads on the caps for EMG's are generally not long enough to connect your vol to tone in most Jackson guitars.
            And the ones at Radio Shack are the same size.
            So the cap often needs to be extended to reach.
            Make sure you have a clean solder joint there an do use some heat shrink where you spliced it.
            If you are having a low output problem with EMG wiring, check that little green cap 1st and there's a good chance that its the problem or the cap itself is bad.

Well, that's my few little lessons for EMG wiring.
            I do more EMG wiring than any other wiring.
            I prefer it over passive or any other wiring. LOVE IT!!
            Hope I have been of some help.

Scott

Comment

Working...
            X