Concerning strings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerning strings...

Just wondering what y'all prefer. I play Super Slinky round wounds, but was thinking of trying out some flat wounds. Talking to a buddy of mine, he told me he hates them and thinks the flat ones lack in overall tone.

So... what do you think? [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

If there is already a thread on this, pardon. I am wicked wicked lazy today to bother with a search. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Emmy

Re: Concerning strings...

My Alembic has the snarling dog Nickel roundwounds.... I bought em because of the package but i must say they are very good. Quite "bright" for bass strings. My Fender has GHS
    Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Hey Superfly,
      Hmm... will have to check those out! [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
      I like my slinkies just fine, I play GHS bass strings too but haven't ever played flat wounds. Have you noticed any difference in tone between the round and flat wound strings?
      I could throw some on, sure, but bass strings are expensive!

Em

Comment

When I got my five-string, I switched to stainless steel roundwounds, which give a brighter tone and more solid low B string. They are murder on your fingers, though, compared to nickel. I use the thinnest set of Ken Smith strings, which seem to be a good value and give nice tone.

Comment

i've been using ghs progressive strings lately. the e string is wound with the core exposed at the bridge saddle. had to raise the saddle height to get the action right but e string is the only one like that in the set.gives the the e string more sustain, or seems like it anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Have you noticed any difference in tone between the round and flat wound strings?
            I could throw some on, sure, but bass strings are expensive!

Em

[/ QUOTE ]
            Yes i definitely hear a difference with the 2. The roundwound IMO have a brighter tone and i can hear them better without an amp which i'll do sometimes. Yes Bass strings kill me cost wise. I play em till i can't stand em anymore. That's why i like the GHS, they seem to last forever.
            Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Flat wound strings will sound dead compared to round wound. Rickinbacker had a set of light flat wound that sounded good but that was in the 70's when I last saw them.

Comment

DR Highbeams, stainless steel round wound, super bright and seem to maintain their punch longer then any other string I have used. Nickel strings sound dead to me me when they are new. I can't imagine what flatwound strings would be like.
                "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Flatwounds are better for fretless bass, as they have no punch.
                  I use EB Bass Slinkys (round) - whatever the lightest 5-string gage is.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Flatwounds are better for fretless bass, as they have no punch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, they don't chew up the fingerboard like roundwounds do.

- E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

AH! [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                      I was beginning to wonder why flatwounds were even made.
                      I will keep that in mind should I grab myself a fretless bass in the future. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Ya Flatwounds are definitely best with fretless basses. They also dont chew up the fretboard as much. The feel is considerably different, though. If you do a lot of slides your fingers wont get as chewed up, but IMHO they require a little more effort to play. I didn't particularly like the tone of the flatwounds I tried (Fender and Rotosound).

As for my recommendations for strings that I like...Rotosound Roundwounds, GHS boomers, and DR coated black beauties. The Rotos are the most expensive, but have the best tone. GHS have good tone and last longer, and are slightly cheaper and more available.
                        The DR black beauty coated strings are really cool cosmetically, but the coating flakes off if you use a pick and if you use the bass constantly as your main bass. They sound good, have a slick action, and look killer onstage.

Comment

Thanks folks. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          I love my slinkies, but I will give the Snarling Dogs and the Rotos a try. GHS I really like too, I use them exclusively on my guitars.

I've wondered about those black beauties, like you mentioned Thor.
                          I really like the look of those (killer!), a buddy of mine has used them and complained about the flaking. I don't play bass with a pick so they may be just fine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Em

Comment

Working...
                          X