Jackson Project Bass - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Project Bass - Questions

I recently obtained a Jackson bass - or, rather a bag full of parts. I'm into restoring basses, so I'm psyched to have one to play with.

What I've got: Body, stripped and sanded. Standard P-Bass shape, not "pointy", and any right-angle edge it might have had along the "outline" is sanded smooth, if there ever was one. Wood is a sandwich, with several light and dark woods included. Pickup config is P/J, and three control knob holes.

Neck, stripped and sanded. The fingerboard is missing from this piece, and the headstock is separated from the rest of the neck.

Pickups. The pickups appear to have taken a coat of some completely inappropriate paint at some point. The "J" p/u is a "double" - like two J-style pickups back-to-back. The pole pieces on all of them are exposed, and are two-to-a-string, if that makes any sense.

Tuners, Gotoh.

And that's it. Not much to work with, maybe, but that's the challenge. My plan is to replace the neck, rather than play around trying to track down and attach a fingerboard. The tuners are in fine shape, they'll do if I need them. The pickups I'll keep, at least until I see how this thing plays, although I'll need to cobble together some controls and a jack first. If I like it, they'll be replaced with EMGs.

The finish I'm still undecided on - I already have one black bass (a Dean Hollywood Z), so that might be a bit redundant. If it was solid wood, I'd put a sunburst finish on it, but as it is I might experiment with something funky, maybe a crackle.

I'll need plenty of additional hardware for this thing, bolt-on plate, bridge, jackplate, etc., but those can be tracked down. All in all, a worthy project, I think.

My first question for you guys is, will a Charvel neck fit on most Jackson basses? I'm specifically talking about this one: eBay LINK

Any feedback or suggestions are more than welcome.

Steve Smith

Re: Jackson Project Bass - Questions

thats a charvel "style" neck. give it a few days and wait for a real one to pop up. finding out what model you have will make it easier to tell if certain necks will fit, and im not j/c bass wizard so im not going to be able to help much.

chris

Comment

Re: Jackson Project Bass - Questions

[ QUOTE ]
      thats a charvel "style" neck. give it a few days and wait for a real one to pop up. finding out what model you have will make it easier to tell if certain necks will fit, and im not j/c bass wizard so im not going to be able to help much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call on waiting, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there. As far as what model it is - it's anybody's guess. I'll take some pictures of what I've got and post'em here pretty soon, but I have to rely on someone else's say-so to even be sure it's a Jackson. Although, seeing as I got it for free from a friend, he'd really have no reason to pass it off as one if it weren't. Hmm...

Comment

Working...
      X