Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to unfinish a neck?

Hello...
    I have a parts project I am working on...It has a Warmouth Radius neck that has a light coat of some type of sealant/finish on the fretboard and back of neck.
    How can I go about taking this off? Although I haven't played one in forever, I remember really liking the feel of unfinished maple necks and fretboards. My main guitar has a rosewood neck and I am hoping for something with more of an older Charvel-feel. (The Warmouth neck is maple, btw.)

Finally, are there any look-outs/downfalls to doing this?

Thanks everyone!

Dan

Re: How to unfinish a neck?

Yea...if you unfinish the neck, it won't have as much protection against warping due to moisture.

Comment

I decided to strip the finish off, an otherwise, very nice Jackson neck. One of the reasons I did this is the joint between the neck and the fretboard was uneven on the edges, I used a very sharp Swiss Army knife and shaved the finish of the neck and also matched up the board to the neck. It's kinda like peeling a carrot. Very lighty run the knive in a scraping motion. If you are careful, you will get the feel and you will love it.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

leave the finish on there, but scuff it with some steel wool. you'll get the satiny feel of an unfinished neck, but you'll keep the protection.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          leave the finish on there, but scuff it with some steel wool. you'll get the satiny feel of an unfinished neck, but you'll keep the protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do that. I heard that before a couple of times and keeping the protection is a BIG PLUS!

Comment

Try sanding lightly with 400 gt wet/dry sandpaper and leaving it if you can. If you must go to the wood you need to do more sanding and then apply either tung oil or linseed oil .

I can't stand the feel of lacquer finish on the back of the neck. I always do the 400-600 grit sanding to smooth it out. I don't take it down to the wood and it leaves a great feel and has plenty of protection.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
            X