Gold Plated Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Plated Hardware

I have a PC1 with the standard gold plated hardware.

I wipe the bridge off with a jewlery cloth after every time I play it (every day) and the gold is starting to rub off.

I am afraid that if I don't wipe it off it will pit.

Anybody have any experience on taking care of these gold plated Floyds?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Gold Plated Hardware

the only way to keep that gold on is to not play it. i don't know if there's really much that can be done about it; the plating naturally wears off over time.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I don't know whether it's true or not, but apparently black has the longest life, followed by chrome, and then gold, based on their plating methods or something. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Damn, all I have now is gold hardware on my Taylor and Edwards/ESP, and chrome on my Jackson. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I COULD "upgrade" the gold Taylor tuners for ebony-buttoned Taylor tuners which should basically last forever... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

bah, worn off plating looks good too ......... (: (:

oh and notp, how many pictures of eddie you got for your avatar?? i've seen you use at least a dozen.....!!
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I have a 1993 Custom with all gold hardware. It's very shiny, and is played regularly. It depends on the acidic levels of your body sweat and the oils in your hands/fingers. Some people have highly acidic sweat that wreaks havoc on hardware. So even if you clean it and treat it there will be fading. You can lightly oil your hardware to create a protective seal if you have unusually high acids in the sweat...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I thought the wear was from wiping it every day - which I do because I don't want it to pit.

But I don't really sweat all that much when I play it and am not resting too heavily on it so maybe I will stop wiping it.

I have a custom coming with gold plated hardware. Maybe I should have gotten brass or something.

I wonder if gold is warm sounding compared to say chrome or brass?
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

There is no tonal variation with color on a trem. The EVH thing is a myth. You don't have to visibly sweat to create corrosion. It's all microscopic. Wiping it is your best bet, and maybe lightly oiling it to prevent further wear.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                oh and notp, how many pictures of eddie you got for your avatar?? i've seen you use at least a dozen.....!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have quite a few more that haven't made the rotation yet... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I typically try to invent a creative suitable profile Location to put under each avatar each time! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I just realized that I only wipe my strings and body, never the hardware, after I play, even with heavy sweating. But I always wash my hands before I play and try not to touch my teen-grease-ridden face while playing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And you will see no tarnish nor wear on the hardware. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I don't know whether it's true or not, but apparently black has the longest life, followed by chrome, and then gold, based on their plating methods or something. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If chrome is done right, it will last longer than black. Black seems to rub off (is it paint?). Chrome is plating like on an old car. It should resist corrosion and last. Not to be confused with nickel, which does tarnish like silver.

Comment

Black floyds are poweder coated which lasts longer than regular paint.
                    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I wipe the bridge off with a jewlery cloth after every time I play it (every day) and the gold is starting to rub off.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      That's one of the main problems right there. Stop wiping it down all the time. The cloth rubbing on it all the time will cause the gold to rub off. The acidity in your skin also has a lot to do with it, but the constant rubbing of a cloth also contributes. Maybe blot it with a cloth instead of rubbing. Not much you can do with gold plating except let nature take its course. I've also heard of people putting on some clear nail polish to help, but not sure if you'd really want to do that or not.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X