Floyds springs. Straight vs slanted ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyds springs. Straight vs slanted ?

Right now on my axe I have .10s but with a heavy bottom (D'addario XL) so my A is a .42 and my E a .52. She's tuned to E standard. The springs are just straight (|||) but I have seen a lot of trem blocks with slanted springs, towards the middle (/|\). What difference does it make?

Re: Floyds springs. Straight vs slanted ?

The idea is that it is harder to open a closed spring than it is to further stretch a spring that is already open. The reason to slant the spring is it increases the length of the spring, thereby if a spring is closed in the straight position, it will be open in the slanted position. Its mostly a feel issue.

With a Floyd, you may not be able to stabilize the trem in a neutral position with the springs closed, so the arguement is moot. With a vintage trem, its easier to rest the trem on the body and have the springs closed - then, of course, there's no pull back.

On my floyds, I have three springs in the straight position. On my vintage trems, I do two slants and one straight.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I have the springs slanted on all of my floyds. it makes bending the e and b strings a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit easier. It also makes the floyd feel a little easier to pull down.
      I think Grandturk is correct on all counts.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Grandturk is more or less right.

Of course sickos like myself that plas 12-52 or heavier in standard tuning usually get forced to use 4 springs, so we can´t fine tune our trems this way, but have to do with what we got [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

What advantages does it have to use 4 springs? And what disadvantages?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Of course sickos like myself that plas 12-52 or heavier in standard tuning usually get forced to use 4 springs, so we can´t fine tune our trems this way, but have to do with what we got [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right - I forgot about you wierdos.
            [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Pott - adding more springs increases the tension on the trem, making it stiffer. If you use heavier strings, you may need to increase the number of springs you use, or use heavier springs.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I don't use the trem bar... *is ashamed*
              It's my first guitar and I've only been playing for about 2 or 3 months so... yeah. I should block it really.

Comment

Would I be correct in saying that if you used the same string guage and tuning, that 4 strings would give more tension than 5 strings, if both were set up for floating?

I don't know if I worded that right...What I'm thinking is that if you had 3 springs, and played 10's in standard, if you loosened the trem claw, put 4 springs on, and set it up floating again, it would have more string tension, correct? Or is it just tremolo tension?

Also, kind of off topic, but when you adjust the action on an FR, do you need to remove the trem/loosen strings before turning the posts, to avoid grinding down the knife edge, or does turning the posts not hurt the knife edge?

Comment

The way the trem works, string tension at a given pitch with a given string gauge is always the same, and the spring tension required to balance against that string tension is also always the same. When you add a spring, it increases the amount of force you need to apply to do a dive because you are now pulling against more springs, and it is more likely that those springs are resting in the closed position, as Grandturk pointed out. Basically, the trem is more resistant to being rocked forward. Even though the strings will have the same tension in this situation, it may feel like there is more string tension when you bend strings. This is because the trem is not rocking forward as much when you bend. If you've ever played a guitar with only two springs, you can really feel how it seems easy to bend & the strings feel looser. You end up having to bend the string much further to hit your note, though, because that loose feeling comes from the trem rocking forward so easily.

Comment

Ah thanks, that clears up a couple questions.

I'd imagine that with more springs, the trem would be more stable and not wobble on chords, or when hit hard, as much as it would with less springs? Seems like a huge benefit to me!

And that trem post thing; when you adjust the action on an FR, do you need to remove the trem/loosen strings before turning the posts, to avoid grinding down the knife edge, or does turning the posts not hurt the knife edges?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      ...I'd imagine that with more springs, the trem would be more stable and not wobble on chords, or when hit hard, as much as it would with less springs? Seems like a huge benefit to me!...

[/ QUOTE ]

It´s a noticeable benefit, but not huge, a tremsetter is MUCH more apparent.

As far as the posts go: IMO, if you´re setting the guitar up and don´t plan on changing the tuning / guage/ general setup, then you can turn the posts under tension, because doing it once won´t suddenly destroy the entire trem...

But if you´re one of those guys that does a new setup every week, then you should really release tension first to prolong the Life of the Knife [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X