Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did it! My homemade trem block with photo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did it! My homemade trem block with photo!

This was my first real foray into blocking a Floyd. Mind you I have been doing my own tech work for years and a few friends as well for that matter.

The guitar in question is my friends Jackson Vee. Now keep in mind that this is a PS-2 performer so this certainly qualifies as a budget Jackson. Matter of fact this particular axe was an ebay find for less than $125 if I recall.

My friend uses this on occasion in a few ‘80’s cover bands that he plays in but it is far from his main stage guitar. Nevertheless there is no real budget for any upgrades other than the custom pickguard that I made and the bridge humbucker from my old Model 2.

Keeping in mind that this is a budget Jackson, its tone has never really blown us away. Part of the culprit in my humble opinion is the fact that there is so little wood on this guitar. Between the back route for the Floyd, the trem cavity and the bridge humbucker route, there is very little actual wood to enhance the tone.

Needless to say, “thin” is a term that best describes this guitars tone.

On to the project!

I manage to find a scrap of aluminum in the garage today. I believe that it came from some old patio doorframe. A quicker wander through your local Lowes or Home Depot will have your particular problem solved. I prefer aluminum, as it’s much easier to work with than say, wood or even metal.

I measure a piece that would fit my trem cavity well. Keep in mind that between the trem cavity and the bridge humbucker route there was not a lot of solid wood to drill into. Less than a 1 ½ in my case!

The initial cut from this aluminum bar was made with a hacksaw and the final shaping was done on the ol’ $40 Delta tabletop grinder. Wear leather gloves as aluminum get rather hot quickly!

After lining up the trem so that it was flat with the body I drilled three small holes into the plate and screwed it into place.

And voila!

A great looking and perfectly functional trem block. Dare I say that the tone is just a little better as well given that the bridge rests against something rather than just floating?

Trem Block!

Re: I did it! My homemade trem block with photo!

Nice job, that's certainly another way to do it that I never thought of.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Nice job, that's certainly another way to do it that I never thought of.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Thanks!

The beauty of the thin aluminum plate is that it fits nearly every guitar cavity regardless of the size between the springs and wood below them.

Comment

Great idea. Simple yet effective.

Comment

It makes me wonder why I didn't think of that

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              as it’s much easier to work with than say, wood or even metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Aluminum isn't metal now? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] seriously you should try that with a brass block instead..
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

<font color="aqua"> Looks like a great job, however, I have a question. He can still use this to yank down on the bar and when it comes back up it rests on the block, correct? When he comes back up and metal hits metal (yes, aluminum is a metal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) does it give a huge "KERANG" sound?

I'm just wondering because I had made up an "L" block with a set screw that I could adjust how level the trem sat to the body and the sustain block would hit the set screw and create a loud noise because of metal hitting metal and the springs actually exagerate the noise even more. What I ended up doing was putting a piece of teflon between them and that helped a great deal. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I recently blocked mine. Not as nice of a job as you did but I used a simple wood shim.

I used the thin end of the shim.

Fit under the springs. I didn't screw it in either - just sits there underneath the springs - they hold it in place!

I just crack up because I was so lazy about it but it works perfectly and added to the sustain and tone.

I wonder if using metal would add any tone? hmmmm..........

Interesting comment about using brass but where the hell would you find that and how would you cut it?
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Yeah, I just glued a couple of popsickle sticks together and elmer glued them into the cavity so that it was easy to remove.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

yes there is a "clunk" now and again if you really just drop the bar. I find that a single wrap of electrical tape does the trick.

Having said that even I who is pretty hand with setting up Floyds, tends to like the simplicity (not to mention added tuning stability) of this blocked trem.

Comment

I blocked the Floyd on my Fusion a couple of months ago. I used a small wood block glued against the cavity wall. I also tightened the springs significantly. I can tell a difference in the sustain and it definitely has better tuning stability. It should also prevent it from going haywire if I break a string (hasn't happened yet).

As Budman68 suggested, there's a certain amount of "clunk" if you just release the bar suddenly, but that's a tiny price to pay since I rarely dive at all.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I'm glad you used only a $40 bench grinder. Go check your grinding wheel it's probably clogged full of aluminum.
                          No good now.

Comment

<font color="aqua">All you need is a dressing stick and it will "eat" that aluminum right out of there. You should have a dressing stick for any grinder, otherwise your just "burning" you're not grinding.

Also, a little tip when grinding brass or aluminum. To keep the wheel "pores" from loading up while grinding, get a stick of parrafin wax and grind it into the wheel. It loads up the pores and the wheel won't get loaded with metal particles as fast [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                            X